"Changes" (new piece by Cheez)

Cheez

I know I've been keeping quiet about new pieces for a while (in fact for a few years!!!). In a discussion in another thread on mixing, Kongwee asked me to put a larger mixed version for discussion. I didn't want to as I was preparing for my pieces to be released in an album. But I thought, well, might as well just show one piece - just to let people know that there are new pieces I've written. Some of you may know that I'm more inclined towards orchestral and acoustic pieces. Well, this is one of the "ballad-type" - just to show that I don't just write orchestral pieces! Piece not perfect, but passable for PC (or Mac :))listening.

I performed this piece live about a month ago (not in Singapore). After the performance, a few people asked, "Where can we download it?" Well, you still can't download it, but you can listen to it!

http://soundcloud.com/symphonia/changes

Background of the piece:

Before I married my wife-to-be, I liked 99% of her. But there's that 1%...which I thought I would change her after I married her! Years passed, and that 1% remained unchanged. It was later I realized that the person that really needed changing, is me.

This piece was written for our 10th year wedding anniversary. The title "Changes" describes the background why this piece was written.

Notes for musically-focused listeners:

The piece "Changes" changes key 12 times throughout, hence playing with the word associated with the title. Starting key: Eb major. Modulations between Eb major, F# major and Bb major. Ending finally with Bb major. With so many key changes, the trick is to make the changes smooth and flowing without being distracting. Two major motif in it that interchanges.

Instruments: Piano (main instrument), Violins (1 and 2), cellos, E Bass, E Guitar, Tenor Sax, Drums, and various percussion instruments (including wind chimes, cymbals, frog eggs shakers).

Notes for mixing/sound engineering-focussed listeners:

I'm not an expert in mixing or mastering. This track wasn't mastered, just mixed. 11 audio tracks. Mixing done in 48kHz, 32bit. Final audio export dithered down to 44.1kHz, 24bit.

Various EQ, compression and tube saturation added to various instruments via Sonar X1's built-in ProChannel. Other plugins include Guitar Rig 3, Cakewalk/Voxengo Perfect Space Convolution Reverb, SPL TwinTube, NuGen Stereoizer 3, and Cakewalk PX64 Percussion Strip

Notes for the technical-focussed listeners:

Sequenced using Yamaha S90 keyboard. All done with a notebook (no desktop) - Vaio Z56 C2D 2.8GHz, 6GB RAM, external USB 2.0 HD, Echo Indigo djx express card, M-audio 1x1 midi interface.

DAW: Sonar X1a. Softsamplers: Kontakt 3.5 and Superior Drummer 2. Sample libraries: KHSO, Akoustic Piano, MM-bass, Sample Modelling's T Sax, samples from various other smaller libraries, SD2 NY Avatar kit (with settings from Allen Morgan).

Last edited:
Reverb changed to convolution reverb. Somehow, it just keep bothering me trying to get everything sound in unity. I think I can't get it any better. Not going to spend anymore time on this... A lot of gratitude to Kongwee for his suggestions in mixing and the volume level of certain instruments. Also my friend Alfonso who has a very sharp ear as a sound engineer and gave me priceless suggestions (in particular the EQs of quite a few instrument tracks, stereo field adjustments, and reverb).

Last edited:
Nice job. Actually there is no end for mixing. Don't worry about mastering too. I'm that glad I can be in some help.

Thanks. Really appreciate your help. I must say I've learned a lot about mixing these few weeks, more than I have in years!

I've listened to my own piece for I don't know how many times after it was completed (very seldom for me!). I'm finding myself analysing it again and again. I must say I really liked it! Once in a while, I would write a piece that's creative (some songs I wrote I never listened to again). This is one I find myself listening to again and again.

Really hope you guys enjoy this! Have a few more up my sleeve. Coming up: a piece written entirely for strings (at the moment - full violins 1, violins 2, violas, cellos, double bass, harp - and maybe guitar). Not sure yet. Will take quite a bit of theory and harmony to get it right. Title: "With Strings Attached".

Thanks guys! Key changes not in circle of 5th. Not conventional rules, which makes it more interesting musically. Start with Eb major, then to Bb major (5th), then back to Eb major (4th), then to Bb major again (5th), then to F# major (Augmented 5th), then to Eb major (diminished 7th), then Bb major (5th), and it repeats itself again.

Back