Carl Martin: Crush Zone

subversion

carl_crush_zone.jpg

Carl Martin Crush Zone
List: $120

If you were ever a fan of Carl Martin FX units, that’s probably due to the Compressor/ Limiter pedal which virtually set the industry’s benchmark in terms of sustain & thickened output. The Danish manufacturer has released a trio of Vintage Series pedals; this Crush Zone is a deceiving member of this lineup.

Build/ features
The Crush Zone (CZ) is a pentagonal pedal consisting of a rugged aluminium housing & a plastic base plate. There are only 3 control knobs on board (Level/ Tone/ Distortion), together with the font employed, and the chicken head knobs reek all things vintage. The input/ output access are rear located, a plus point here would be the battery access- located underneath the pedal, it is of the flick-hatch type, very user friendly. The CZ’s simplicity & pleasing vintage theme makes it a very desireable pedal in this category.

Now the deceit…

Tone
Upon activation, the CZ is anything but vintage; if you are in for an intense distortion type, do consider this one. Nevertheless, the manufacturer has ensured the CZ would not serve as a one trick pony; the distortion sweep is wide enough to cover all manner of drive induced voicings, from the very mild, blues-type crunch to an all out metal assault. Of course, like any other good, organic pedal, the Level knob plays a major part in intensity/ sensitivity inducement. The singular tone control here is perhaps the pedal’s Achilles heel, should the CZ employ a 3-band parametric offering, this pedal would be more toneful but in the name of design obligation, it’s the right employment.

Last say
The CZ is a useful distortion box, it’s not a metal-type unit per se, and it’s not one to churn out that smooth Tubescreamer-like drive either. It should be played loud & properly trimmed via a supplementary EQ unit or your amp’s EQ section. The pedal does well in isolated use; it’s marvelous as a booster for your mild driven amp as discovered by this reviewer.

Rating: 8/10

• Simple features
• Overall looks
• Battery access

Dislikes
• Singular tone control

Worthy competitors:
• Boss: Metal Zone
• Digitech: Metal Master
• Marshall: Jackhammer
• Line6: Uber Metal
• Danelectro: Black Coffee

Interesting! Who stocks this?

Btw, Sub, you compared this to the metal-type pedals, but yet its not a "metal-type unit per se"? So what woudl its voicing be similiar to?

Carl Martin pedals now available @ Davis 8)

if there is an appropriate turf for the CZ, it has to sit in between a hard distortion unit & a metal type drive pedal. the only reason i include other metal type units in the comparison fold is because, the CZ (by virtue of its name & the attractive intense distortion) would lure those seeking a hard distortion type rather than the rest who are content with mild drive, despite the pedal capable of fulfilling both requirements.

functionally, the CZ can be likened to a Tube Zone but the latter's intensity & saturation levels are above the former. tone-wise, if you wish for a more hard hitting Black Star, the CZ will see to that attainment.

love it, bought one already 8)

possible- keep your EQ in check.

but a more suitable Carl Martin unit for that requirement would be the Plexi Tone- also available @ Davis 8)

50101.jpg

Great price for a great product, glad that Davis is now bringing them in. Praises for the Plexitone! On a side note, the Carl Martin compressor is Andy Timmons's choice on his pedalboard....been seeing it quite a few times of it.

before Barber's Tone Press debuted, Carl Martin's Compressor/ Limiter is the standard to beat. it still is 8)

wah $250 ar. i called them i thought i heard $350! $350 scared me much! ok not bad i shall consider.

what i like is that this has a boost too! but cant use 1spot aye? wat's PSU?

Back