boil strings

i've just tried soaking my strings in spirit. works kinda fine. at first by the looks of the string like no difference, then after string on the bass, wa.. the twang shiok oo. almost like a virgin :D but then still no where near a new set of strings. for best results get yourself some new strings..

Last edited:
actually i dont understand this threaddddd...ahh..like now i got rusty bass strings and if i buy new strings i should boil them ? or just restring them? or put fire wine. could some one put the steps in point form..really appreciated.!
thanks

okay bro,

the basics behind string boiling is to extend string life on your strings. That's because as poor singaporeans who don't earn alot ... e.g. poor NS privates like me who earn only a meagre sum of money from the SAF ... that's the only way to extend string life and prolong the next "okay-its-time-to-get-new-strings" day ...

bass strings ain't cheap ... not when you're playing a 5-stringer .. worse ... 6-strings or more ...

when you play your strings for a period of time it loses its ability to vibrate due to dirt/dead skin/dried sweat stuck inbetween the grooves of the string .. what boliing the string does is to get rid most of the dirt of the strings so that the life of the string will come back to it ...

how to boil, you can refer back to the older posts ... it'll help ..

there are basically two methods of boiling ... (if there's a third or more .. just post them up here okay?) ...

1. Boiling strings in water with some detergent/vinegar ...

2. SOAKING the strings in methylated spirit ... (DON'T BOIL METHYLATED SPIRIT!! IT'S FLAMABLE!!) ...

hope that helps ...

i tried ur mattered i learnt a few things
A:It will harden the strings =More gauge and easier to be broken
B:It ruins the string tone
C:Shortening string life
D:If u didnt understand what A means it means let say u got a gauge 9 string usually the last string for ur guitar then after u boil it it will become like gauge 12-15 and its freaking harden and if u bend it it will break immeadiately my experience says... DoNT D0 iT!

which method? boiling or using fire wine?

boiling dont do it lar i thought meant for guitar in the end for bassist dotn know about them
but all i know i u will loose ur string tone string life the gauge would be higher liek if its a 9
will go up to 11-13 and will break very easily so jsut get a new string save water+gas+effort=$5 Lol

okay bro,

the basics behind string boiling is to extend string life on your strings. That's because as poor singaporeans who don't earn alot ... e.g. poor NS privates like me who earn only a meagre sum of money from the SAF ... that's the only way to extend string life and prolong the next "okay-its-time-to-get-new-strings" day ...

bass strings ain't cheap ... not when you're playing a 5-stringer .. worse ... 6-strings or more ...

when you play your strings for a period of time it loses its ability to vibrate due to dirt/dead skin/dried sweat stuck inbetween the grooves of the string .. what boliing the string does is to get rid most of the dirt of the strings so that the life of the string will come back to it ...

how to boil, you can refer back to the older posts ... it'll help ..

there are basically two methods of boiling ... (if there's a third or more .. just post them up here okay?) ...

1. Boiling strings in water with some detergent/vinegar ...

2. SOAKING the strings in methylated spirit ... (DON'T BOIL METHYLATED SPIRIT!! IT'S FLAMABLE!!) ...

hope that helps ...
i personally find that boiling doesnt do any good to the lifespan of the string. in any case, i find that it makes it worse. the only plus point is that the string becomes brighter. so the more likely scenario would be an "i have a gig tmr my strings are dead" kind of backs-to-the-wall situation.

so it might be a good fix to tide you through a gig the next day but repeated applications will be less and less effective.

for guitars, other than the string cleaner/lube route there's nothing much that can be done

Back