boil strings

YAY!

I used to boil strings as well. But the duration of its brightness will be halved everytime after u boil it.

What I recommend is putting your strings in methylated spirit. Its pretty cheap and effective and will last a whole lot longer than boiling. You can get the methylated spirit from any hardware shop. Cost is only about $1+ per bottle.

I've been using the same set of strings on my SR for about 1+ yr already. Time to marinade it again....

Eh rottenramone... do you just dump them in a pot or do you get the tube and glue on caps? If you do the latter where do you get them from?

i took my sister's nail polish remover. saved all the remaining liquid...

no lah. just get the bottle from uncle hardware shop will do

1) get pot
2) dump old strings in pot
3) pour spirit in pot
4) cover pot
5) simmer (i leave it for 24 hours)
6) fresh n minty!!!

btw, i heard brake cleaner also can. but i dunno how much that costs

so basically you don't boil right? .. just let it stand right?? .. man .. i didn't know about the methylated spirit .. always boiled my strings... i remember boiling my strings 3 times before trying to string it back got kind difficult .. knew it was going to snap somehow so got it changed ...

yeah boiling does that

just leave it to stand in the pot can already. make sure u cover cos the spirit will evaporate quickly

I should do this, always wanted to recycle my strings but damn lazy. And changing strings for all my babies is always a damn ex affair.

I just need to find that damn pot....

Ken said:
I should do this, always wanted to recycle my strings but damn lazy. And changing strings for all my babies is always a damn ex affair.

I just need to find that damn pot....

hahahahahah ... right on man ..

when i boil my strings, i add white(clear) vinegar to the water... seems to work too, but i hate how fast the brightness fades away... :cry: ex lah strings...

Re: ..

rottenramone said:
methylated spirit is da way to go bro!

i believe you, i'm going to drop by some hardware shop one day and ask them ... jus tell them methylated spirit ah? .. or got some heartland name for it ... ?

Hey exin

i am not sure if i have seen you post any before but i am dying to hear how that bass as ur avartar pic sounds like. I read in the bass gallery or something its equiped with MECs right? could you post something up please? :)

If you are able to, do post clips with both slap and finger style!

slapadelic said:
Hey exin

i am not sure if i have seen you post any before but i am dying to hear how that bass as ur avartar pic sounds like. I read in the bass gallery or something its equiped with MECs right? could you post something up please? :)

If you are able to, do post clips with both slap and finger style!

It's a warmoth ... =) ...

PM your email i'll send you some clips ...

i just bought a bottle of methylated spirit! .. they called it "fire wine" in chinese. Direct translation, cost me $3 bucks at D.I.Y. store man ... those shopping mall one.

but sure saves $30-40 on a new set of strings. haha. i'm gonna get em too. and a pot of my own. otherwise mummy will wonder why the soup tastes different....

Z3r0_G said:
but sure saves $30-40 on a new set of strings. haha. i'm gonna get em too. and a pot of my own. otherwise mummy will wonder why the soup tastes different....

most likely you'll find the whole family lying motionless on dinner table dude...

exin said:
i just bought a bottle of methylated spirit! .. they called it "fire wine" in chinese. Direct translation, cost me $3 bucks at D.I.Y. store man ... those shopping mall one.

Coolz.. fire wine.. haha

platypus said:
after simmering do you rinse the strings or do you just restring straight away? :?

good question ... at this momen while i'm replying to you ... my strings are sitting in a pot of methylated spirit ... hur hur hur ... i'd figured i'd let it dry off before restringing ... not sure whether it works .. but .. i'll try ... if not i'll just dry if off with a cloth ...

rottenramone - so how? .. what do we do?

Back