Blues bass

rickylah

hi guys, like to learn and be able to play some blues/rock bassline.

my theory is terrible. i can only remember a few notes.

came across this:
12 bar Blues is just a cycle of a riff that can be placed anywhere on the fretboard and you can determine where you play by knowing the root note of the first chord.
This is because 12 bar blues is based around this
root, root, 4th, root, 5th, 4th, root, this is repeated over again, a good way to practice finger placement is to get a couple of friends (or a drum machine) and to improvise over this structure. if you're wondering how I came up with this structure it's taken from the major scale.

G|---------------2--4--5|
D|------2--3--5---------|
A|3--5------------------|
E|----------------------|
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

the main blues/jazz riff is just playing
1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 8th, 6th, 5th, 3rd

ive finally understand this!! wooooohoooo. anyway, is there other important or "must-know" wadever this is called, basslines or scales to learn? good if u guys paste me some websites.

You can try playing dominant chords on bass to get a blues feel.

G7 C7 G7 D7 C7 G7 (1 4 5 progression)

G7 = G B D F
C7 = C E G Bb
D7 = D F# A C

Cheers

Most blues basslines are based on the pentatonic scale (major and minor). Learn that inside and out and you got it made.

or you can add a minor 3rd to major 3rd thingy inside to make the feel way cooler.

like root, minor 3rd, major 3rd, perfect 5th, major 6th... or something like that.

Wanna play a 'Blues' bass? Easy peasy...
think like a blues guitarist.

When you jam with a blues guitarist& hone/lock in on his emotions, you'll be playin' the blues.

Back