Biking

I'm planning to get a Trek FX 7.2 by the end of the month. Gonna use it on days where i'm not running or going to the gym. My only concern is that the 'slim' road wheels can be easily punctured. Is this common in road bikes? Or should i just get a mountain bike instead?

road vs bike..

too me road bikes n mtb are 2 diff sports altogether.. dun worry bout d tires.. im quite heavy too but i cycle on a road bike too.. no problem.. u'll punture ur tire anyway in time.. jus get extra tubing at ard 5 bucks each..

Agreed, no need to get those "branded" inner tubes. The "Made In Taiwan / China" ones are good enough. Furthermore they are cheaper.

I'm planning to get a Trek FX 7.2 by the end of the month. Gonna use it on days where i'm not running or going to the gym. My only concern is that the 'slim' road wheels can be easily punctured. Is this common in road bikes? Or should i just get a mountain bike instead?
just make sure your PSI are high enuff and as per recomended by the tyre.

lordie, I've read that you have to not pump the wheels of a road bike to it's full psi because it's gonna heat up when you're riding it. Is this true?

bebisonfire, i was concerned that the wheels of a road bike are not rugged enough for urban use. Like if kena one small stone then whole wheel pancit already.

yea when u riding a road bike u hav to dodge stones , pot holes , drains etc.. its possible to punture d tire or even damage ur wheels.. but den again dats d whole thrill of it sometimes.. if ur looking for leisure ride ard town.. u mite jus wanna get a mtb.. change d tire to slick tire for less drag.. n prolly u can change back off road tires for some off road thrills.. its more versatile.. but u wont go as fast a road bike wud..

after giving up on music (temporarily), i tried mountainbiking.

IMG_6232.jpg

24_kr.jpg

here's my pictures during the last race at kent ridge, august 31, 2008

i took home 2nd place in my category, senior B, 20-29 yrs old.

P8311766.jpg

P8311768.jpg

but now, i've decided to come back to the fold and im looking for a guitar and effects here at soft. while lurking, might as well post some pictures, hehe.

kudos mountguitars!

I only walked the kent ridge trail so far.. have yet got the chance to ride there! A Must try! and i love your fox fork!

Anyway i'm a ex trial biker here :D
Used to ride with the evergreen riders of amk. The good old days where trial is everything and neighbouring police is like snail to us~! hehe

I heard Djthugs is also a trial rider and from tampines!

Who else is trial rider? haha... coz i got a monty x-lite frame i wanna sell :p (shameless sell promo)

Not a "trailer" here.

Ride a Gary Fisher Mamba... old-school stuff but still going strong. More of a Commuter and hobby cyclist.

Just over the past few days I upgraded a few parts... New tires, Maxxis Detonators. Since I don't do off-road, these work great.

Interesting to hear of some of you with knee injuries and still riding... I thought riding was killer on the knees?

I'll try and get a rig pic up soon. :p

Are there any trails in the east? I have no transport to take my bike to kent ridge/northern side of singapore..

BTW, I have been looking at the GT Ava 3.0. Tried my friend's one and it feels rather good. I am no expert but it looks like its good enough for basic trial riding. Correct me if I am wrong.

It costs $650-680 depending on shop. Should I add 100 more to get a 2.0 or is it better to get a 3.0 and upgrade the parts in future?

Used to ride a Colnago and Giant OCR. After having a bad road accident, I quit roadbiking and went into mountainbiking. Relying on my trusty Trek 850, who is incidentally same age as me.

used to ride trials too. west side here. used to ride a monty x-lite then changed to a echo team. did you guys take part in comps? hell we may have even rode together at one of the mass rides at oub before.

I am into roadbiking now,but wanna try mountainbiking as just got my new Diamondback response.I stay at the east and now all I know is that there is only one trail at tamp which is near the mrt,interchange area

eh set la!!!

Eh set la!! Lets do a soft.com.sg cyclin trip!! i want!!!!! but u all sounds professional leh!! im currently usin a tank pro sport frame with 1.25 tyres. can or not? im an amateur la

I want to revive this thread because if I started a new one, I think people won't be happy. Anyway, just in case the new thread doesn't get further posts... might as well revive a (very) old one. Seems that there are a lot of people here into soccer but very few into other sports.

Avid cyclist here. Mainly rides on PCN, road and pavement. Current ride is a Cannondale Trail 6, mostly stock. Used to go cross-country cycling but lately haven't been doing so because I'm kinda bored with the one and only trail nearby, and also lazy to wash bike.

Interested in biking (Cause it'll be able to travel further and not as prone to injure the whole body compared to longboarding)
Been longboarding (Skating) for a few months, thinking of selling it (350) and buy a 2nd hand road / mtb or if i am lucky a new one.
Prices at 600 ? Anyone can intro me? I'm not sure road or mtb, might just go with a hybrid (Polygon F100) should i ?

So what's your budget? $350 can get you a low-end Giant or Trek mountain bike that is all-rounded and reliable, but you're pretty much limited to 2nd hand ones. There are those unknown brand aluminum bikes (Dura, Urata, etc) but if you're serious about riding, I wouldn't recommend those. They work, but you'll find upgrading parts (inevitable if you become a serious rider) difficult with those bikes and anyway if you want something reliable, you'll prefer something by a well-recommended brand. :)

You can also consider Raleigh M20 which is pretty good, but I find the newest version rather ugly-looking...

Back