Bend high notes

Hein

Hi guys,

Any advise on how to practice bending the high E string on high notes(15+).. I can bend below the 12th fret quite easily, but it gets hard on the upper frets..

Any advise on that????

Not an easy one to answer without knowing the nature of your difficulty. Bending from the 15th fret and upwards is slightly hampered by the narrowness of the fret space making it a little harder to grip the string. This is particularly evident on low actions with light strings. Hence, you'll want to consider increasing you string gauge or adjusting your action higher, or just plain ol' practicing of the hard bends at a slow speed.

I use 2 or 3 fingers, depending on situation. With practice, you'll definitely nail it in no time.

Oh - and a scalloped neck is always an option. The YJM Strat or some of the Jem guitars (which have a few scalloped frets in the high registers). Expensive though. You could always have the neck on your existing guitar scalloped.

A scallop is when the wood in between the frets is carved out in a shallow 'U' shape so from the side it looks like uuuuuuuu kinda like the edge of a scallop shell. Since the fingers aren't touching any wood, you get more grip on the string which makes vibrato and bending easier. The downside is, is that it is quite demanding on the fingertips eventually. Try playing a Malmsteen Strat - it's kinda 'sharp' feeling under the hands; an acquired taste.

hifi_killer said:
1st few frets are damn hard to do a full bend

Of course - it's simple physics. Not many guitarists bend a full step lower than the around the 3rd fret without using the bar.

dhalif said:
i scalloped my squier myself lol.. from 7th fret all the way to 22..
LOL - me too. My first electric guitar was a Squier Strat. After I discovered Yngwie, that neck was off and in the vice and attacked with files and rasps in no time. :)

Tsk... still thinking about getting a Candy Apple Red YJM Strat for the permanent collection... so many other things on the list... one day...

My strat and les paul have full scalloped necks, i must say it opens up my playing a lot. Really helps in the vibrato of the high E string.

Dhalif,Vernplum: Just curious, what string gauges are you using on your scalloped instruments?

I tried 8s, didn't give me the tone i was lookin for, so i'm with 10s. Besides 8s tend to force me to go out of tune when i chord :oops: Heh.

true.. but my board is not fully scalloped.. so when i chord above 7th fret.. all ok.. btw poo ah u have msn?

pooo said:
My strat and les paul have full scalloped necks, i must say it opens up my playing a lot. Really helps in the vibrato of the high E string.

Dhalif,Vernplum: Just curious, what string gauges are you using on your scalloped instruments?

I don't have that guitar anymore, but I started on 8s (they broke too easily) and ended up on 10s, which I use now.

Man - I've never seen a scalloped Les Paul! Did you do that yourself? Please post some pics.

Back