Bassists who use picks

Picking gives a more sharper tone, while 'fingering' is bassier.

I'll switch both occasionally, just go with the flo.

Yup,using pick feels like 'Robotic' sound,i feel fingers the best.Juz imagine and compare with one pick in your hand or five fingers....u can do wonders.
i think one day there sure be a bassist using his teeth instead like wat Blackmore(D/purple) or other guitarist...
He..he...juz a joke

ben kenney from INCUBUS!
awesome tone from picking and his fingers.
the picks actually gives u more attack and bite to your tone.
when you're grooving,swinging,jazzed up,its best to let the fingers do the talking.

Even though i'm a finger style player, i REALLY admire Duff Mckagen of Velvet Revolver/Guns N' Roses tone. Nice sparkly tone rather tough to get with fingers yea? :)

Even though i'm a finger style player, i REALLY admire Duff Mckagen of Velvet Revolver/Guns N' Roses tone. Nice sparkly tone rather tough to get with fingers yea? :)
the tone is possible with proper eq... but not the attack

anyway just curious to know, will using nails to pluck the bass get you closer to the attack you get from using a pick?

I'm no bass player but I'll still give my two cents worth. Never really liked the sound of a bass when a pick is used, I've found the sound a tad too raspy. However, I find this technique used by Sir Paul McCartney pretty cool. He'll use the meaty part of his thumb, along with an alternating picking (versus fingering) technique. He can play out the Beatles' melodic basslines with no sweat, yet not make it sound too edgy. Love it.

Yeah. Try plucking all the notes at a7x speed with your fingers. Hahaha.

haha its not really that difficult to be honest. BUt yeah, its true it takes awhile to build up finger speed compared to picks. BUt when it comes to choosing pick or fingers, the musician should have the tone in mind first. not whether which one he can play faster with.

thats why you see most bassists in rock bands uses picks. im sure they can be equally competent with their fingers if they dedicated the same amount of time, its just that the pick sound is more 'rock'

Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue/Sixx:A.M!!!!!! Reita of the GazettE!!!!! Sid Vicious of Sex Pistols!!!!! Dee Dee Ramone of The Ramones!!!!
On a more serious note, Henry Thia of JTeam!!!! Jerry Yan of F4!!! Ronald Mcdonald from Burger Murder!!!!!!!

Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue/Sixx:A.M!!!!!! Reita of the GazettE!!!!! Sid Vicious of Sex Pistols!!!!! Dee Dee Ramone of The Ramones!!!!
On a more serious note, Henry Thia of JTeam!!!! Jerry Yan of F4!!! Ronald Mcdonald from Burger Murder!!!!!!!

+1 to Reita, i still prefer the sound from picks :mrgreen:

Its playing different for tones. To beautify the gene of music. Another technique to power up ur Bass skills arsenal.

+1 to that, i think it's good if bassists can be well-versed in both, so that we can choose to use either technique depending on the song, genre etc. :D

ya, i love the tone you get with picks. ESP mike dirnt's tone. it just sounds so... clunky. but you cant do funk with picks, now can you. so it really does depend on the desired tone..

Chris WolstenHolme

Well if u know Chris Wolstenholme of Muse, he is damn fast with his fingers..but he only use picks with this 2 songs...Knights and Cydonia and Map of Problematique...Both songs he uses the Rickenbacker(Red One)...Hahas...He's one of a kind..!

Back