bassist can advice???

ericbass

to all pro or inter bassist, you all refer using pick or finger when playing???

i not very good yet but can play still learning from book and videos and trying to improve, but my guitarist kept asking me to use pick to play but i don't really like pick on a bass, i refer finger...

can anyone enlighten me??? pick or finger??? :confused:

Actually its really up to you, personally i use both pick and finger for different songs i play. Picking just gives the added punch / treble that i like, while finger gives me the nice lows / flexibility (i'm more accurate / faster with finger) i need. It all depends on how you play, thats it. :3

learn on fingers first, then use a pick when you can play well with fingers. if you only know pickstyle you'll be in for a fun time when you drop your pick

in addition to preference to each person's playing style, i believe there's also a preference to sound.

there's no right or wrong. i'm not telling you to rebel against your guitarist's instruction or suggestion, but it SHOULD be up to you. SHOULD be.

fingerstyle is more conventional because of the kind of tone that bassists want to offer to their band (it blends into the mix more easily), rather than being self-indulgent. we bassists differ from guitarists because it's not all about us.

the answer to this question depends solely on your interpretation of the instrument. all we can do is offer our own opinions, so that maybe they will be in line with your own ideas

I ain't gonna let no guitarist tell me how to play! It's your tone dude, you should decide on what kinda sounds you want out of your bass, THEN decide if a pick or fingers are more suitable. Of course, it's best to know both, since you're more versatile as a result.

using pick or fingers depends solely on the bassist's preference and judgement. though i would say that it would be useful to know both techniques, rather than to just limit yourself to fingerpicking or using a plectrum.

many rock and metal bassists use picks because of the nature of their songs (repetitive notes) and also because of the different tone produced by using a pick. more percussive and distinct i would say.

Back