Bass to buy

supervaluemeal

Hi all,

I started bass about 2-3 yrs ago, not as good as I ought to be but I'm trying :/

Anyway I have a few questions:

• How to prevent neck warp?
  • How to choose string guage and what's the difference?
  • Flat-wound, rotosound and other string jargons - What does it all mean and whats the importance?
  • How to maintain your bass?

I'll edit the post with the answers!

Another thing,
My first bass was a TGM bass :confused: and my current is a Epiphone Thunderbird pro-IV.
However I was thinking of getting a new/used bass and am looking at the Lakland Joe Osborne 44-60 or a warwick.
I'm more of a pop/rock/blues player.

Any suggestions?

P.S. How much can you sell a second hand T-Bird now?

Thanks for your time and understanding!

Regards,
Newbie bassist

Warping: try your hardest to keep the environment your bass is in constant (temperature and humidity). But having perfect conditions 24/7 means not playing it :p so it's up to how far you want to take your own habits and cleaning/maintenance regime. It's more difficult in Singapore's tropical climate than in drier countries. Even the best-made basses are at risk, but being better made does help stave off the problem.
One option you could explore are carbon fiber guitars. Immune to humidity concerns (carbon does not absorb moisture the way wood does). But the expense might only be justified if you frequently travel the world with one.

Strings: Flatwounds are one string type, vs the more common roundwounds. Another less common type is the inbetween, groundwound/halfwound.
String gauge is a personal preference. Only way to know is to try. If you do and can't tell the difference between them, just stick with the standard gauges.
Read http://www.bass-strings.com/bass-string-guide
Rotosound is a brand of strings.

Cheesedeale tackled the difficult ones...

On the bass, Joe Osborne is a specific model while Warwick is the brand which has many models.
Which Warwick model are you looking at?

Warping: try your hardest to keep the environment your bass is in constant (temperature and humidity). But having perfect conditions 24/7 means not playing it :p so it's up to how far you want to take your own habits and cleaning/maintenance regime. It's more difficult in Singapore's tropical climate than in drier countries. Even the best-made basses are at risk, but being better made does help stave off the problem.
One option you could explore are carbon fiber guitars. Immune to humidity concerns (carbon does not absorb moisture the way wood does). But the expense might only be justified if you frequently travel the world with one.

Strings: Flatwounds are one string type, vs the more common roundwounds. Another less common type is the inbetween, groundwound/halfwound.
String gauge is a personal preference. Only way to know is to try. If you do and can't tell the difference between them, just stick with the standard gauges.
Read http://www.bass-strings.com/bass-string-guide
Rotosound is a brand of strings.

O.O thanks a lot :p I'll go read the article and see what I can come up with.

Cheesedeale tackled the difficult ones...

On the bass, Joe Osborne is a specific model while Warwick is the brand which has many models.
Which Warwick model are you looking at?

I'm not exactly very big on warwick but I've noticed the growl that warwick basses have. It's very interesting!
I like the lakland 44-60 because of its classic jazz sounds. I believe warwick can achieve that too but the price for a warwick is wicked (pun intended).

In any case, what 4-string model would you recommend if I based the requirements around the Joe Osborne?

If you base the requirement around Joe Osborne, then get the Joe Osborne :p

Warwicks have a growl, but more importantly they have a strong midrange which cuts through any mix. If you get one with JJ pups it will give you a jazz bass sound, but one on steroids. I have 2, and I think they are worth the price. But I have to say that every Warwick model sounds unique and different to the other models.

Flat-wound, rotosound and other string jargons - What does it

I'll edit the post with the answers!

7673_Rotosound_RB45_Roto_Bass_Nickel.jpg

Rotosound is a string brand... :)

Back