Bass Improvisation

frumnat

I am new to bass and am learning it now. Other than practising scales, can any kind friends care to share with me on how to improvise bass?

Say when I play AMAZING GRACE in G key, how can I improvise this song, other than playing the root bass notes?

Many thanks!!

Hi,

improvisation takes quite a fair bit of musical aptitute and sense to be able to pull it off well. there's nothing wrong trying to try it now but i suggest if you are new to bass, to get your fundementals right before you try anything else.

e.g. hand technique, finger strength and speed ..

thank you exin.

i have actually been playing acoustic guitar for few years, but more of rhythm. Haven't really been improving. i'm really interested in bass, but have been procrastinating for long time. finally pick it up this year.

therefore i thought i can pick up some tips here in this forum from some friends to be able to practise on my own. :)

been playing bass for a few mnths..all i can tell u is tt..learn the techniques n theory..n then..listen to a lot of songs of the style tt u think u're gonna be playing..then wen u play,play with feel..tt's 1 wae i do it..

thank you all.

if i get you right, there's no way to improvise "quickly" except to flow with the rhythm. and that needs lots of practising and playing and experimenting....

right? 8)

okay let's say I pick up after this ends off-

I am very sure of my technique (except for slapping and tapping, which i'll look into next time).

When choosing passing notes and flourishes I always fall back on the major scale or the pentatonic/pentatonic blues, or at least that's what I think it is.

Where do I go from here to improve myself as a bass player? Theory? Groove? Timing?

try to build your foundation of scale,technique and theory at 1 go...
each at certain level you know,so that 3 of em will be balanced,and hearing also important for all musicians,you might want to practice that...
fingering excercise to build some good grip and good finger muscle so that you your finger will be systematical
remember,always practice at a slow tempo,like what my teacher always said to me,only slow can give you speed

i'm very confident about fingering, I never have issues except with super fast stuff like YYZ

visa said:
i'm very confident about fingering, I never have issues except with super fast stuff like YYZ

sorry dude,i wasnt replying your post,it was meant for the TS,hahaha,but if you want to improve,play those oldies la,80s or 70s stuff,back then the music standard was way better than today,imo

Things to learn

I think alot of musicians (even for myself when I started out) have no idea to go when they reach the improvisational crossroads of their musical life.

We all wonder where to goto after determining the key of a song. Well, to use an analogy, you can see your improvisational message as water flowing down a pipe. The kind you find in sewers (not to say your improvisations are crap!) you know? And to have a good, strong pipe to channel the strong currents of the water, you need to have focus, and purpose as a channel for your improvisations.

To strengthen and construct the pipe for your creative waters, you need to define the rules and structures around your message. For example:

1) The theme of the piece. Are you going to improvise within the theme of the piece?

2) Are you catering to any audience? If no, then you will have more freedom in not letting your ego and flashy side dominate.

3) Are you going to play what you can play or what you might not be able to play?

4) Are you alone in communicating your message or are there are other musicians for you to respond and communicate to?

After you are able to answer these questions (and im sure there are many more questions you can ask yourself), you will have abit more focus and will be able to move away from "ohh i have to make my solo bluesy" or "gotta throw all the notes not discovered yet in music at my audience for this solo". Not that these in themselves are bad... but I believe there has to be solid musicianship, fundamentals and direction behind all these methods.

I reccomend Kenny Werner's "Effortless Mastery" for those interested in attuning to the spiritual side of music and to think like Bill Evans or Miles Davis when it comes to improvising. Really good read.

Godbless,
Clarence

been bassing for abt 5yrs..
well for improvisation, listen songs from Cake.. i get inspired by Victor Damiani, their bassist. i think he improvises alot of his basslines.. he's one of my bass heroes lol. one thing for sure, your fingers must be quick, and u have to strengthen your techniques. +be very experimental so thatthe notes u hit will not get off-chord. all d best bro

long live rare gems! (bassists) hehe

wow this is a very old thread that slow_turtle has dug up! haha.

anyway fundamentals are very important, for example, there are people who can do a lot of bass licks but are perpetually off-beat.

one thing i discovered about my bass playing some time ago was that i tended to complicate things by adding in a lot of passing notes and licks, but that compromised on my primary role as a bassist. so maybe you can consider the "less is more" theory :D it's important to know what are the primary roles and functions of a bassist in a band.

I am new to bass and am learning it now. Other than practising scales, can any kind friends care to share with me on how to improvise bass?

Say when I play AMAZING GRACE in G key, how can I improvise this song, other than playing the root bass notes?

Many thanks!!

theory, scales, hand technique and all are part of it.
but mostly importantly, I think it's still the feel that you get when you listen to the music.
like "feel" out the groove and all and then add in your parts.

another way is to play the chromatic scale of your root notes.

cheers!

play by ear. both rhythmic and melodic aspects are of your concern. the rhythm of your bassline should not conflict with that of the drummer. imagine if you play quarter notes when the drummer is playing a bossa beat; it will sound like shit

you need to understand the melody. do you know which note to be on when your guitarist goes into a solo? if you are doing fills, do you know the chord that the guitarist is playing?

since elements of both the rhythm and the melody are apparent in bass playing, the bassline is often the reference point for the guitarist and drummer; so don't screw up :)

+1 to reyrey, Tower of Power's bassist, Rocco Prestia simply smoked on most of their funk/soul tracks. The crazy muted 16th-note groove was killer.

I dont have much problem with fast stuff... but I don't really subscribe to that now. I prefer something that really supports the entire band, and yet directs the rhythmic and harmonic elements of the song.

Last edited:
Just a little sharing about this bassist which I really like. Cornell Williams.

He didn't do many difficult things...well maybe those delightful approach notes. But he really packs a punch in this song. Just compare it.

http://www.joncleary.com/video/jc-wugb042807.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI8Z5hSu1G8

The bassist in the 2nd (youtube vid) is good as well...but Cornell Williams drove the song better.

Hope you guys like it as much as me and it contributes a little to this thread. ;)

Back