Bangkok Dangerous: Dangerous Guitars?

MackSonne

Hey guys, am intending to visit bangkok in a while's time... Wonder if there are any good and cheap guitar stores there?

Or maybe just a place that symbolises the guitar industry there... Have heard good things abt the industry there, would like to see it for myself...

There are a no. of guitar stores in Bangkok, just gotta know where to look.

Siam Paragon (next to Siam BTS): 2 guitar stores there, mostly selling PRS's, acoustics and Washburns.

Siam Discovery Centre (opposite Siam Paragon): One guitar store on the 3rd floor.

Central Lat Phrao (Pahon Yothin MRT): One small store with Parker Fly's, BC Rich, Washburn's and some other stuff.

***Fortune Town (next to Phram 9 MRT): There's a shop in the basement, mostly selling second hand instruments, but they do have brand new stuff.

***"Wurng" (Chinatown area, near Hua Lamphong MRT): Cluster of guitar shops in that area, but i think most of them are closed on Sundays.

Here's the address to another store:

Rinton Music Products
F and V Co., Ltd.
46/ 27 Sukhumvit 105, Bangna, Bangkok 10260, Thailand
Tel : 661859-3232, 669-771-4744, 662-748-6219
Fax : 662-745-8029

This may be a silly question to some? How do I bring back a guitar that I buy from Thailand?

1)Bring it along with me on the plane? If this is so, do I have to pay for any duties or tax? If so, how much is it?

2)Post it back home from there? How much would it costs me? Apart from that, I still have to pay for the duty?

your guitar is too big to be a hand luggage.

so its BETTER to get a hardcase for it there or bring a hard case along.

I don't think you'll be taxed for it.

Actually, you can bring your guitar on board the plane as hand luggage in soft cases.
They're small enough to stow away in the overhead compartment of planes. You won't get taxed for it if you do it this way.
In fact, you could even have the air stewardess to take care of the guitar for you, if you're lucky, they may take it to any empty business or first class seats to store.

Actually, airlines have become increasingly particular about carry-on luggage. You're probably not going to be able to carry your guitar onboard with you. My bandmates and I have tried repeatedly, and whilst some flights might close one eyes, others have asked us to check in our guitars, even if they are in softcases! Ridiculous right.

But no harm trying your luck, although now with heightened airline security you'd be lucky to carry on an effects pedal even! Do play it safe and get a hardcase though.

Also another guitar place to check out is NNG guitars - home of the famous Prasit. I'm told that you can visit him at his workshop, and that he has some amazing guitars on display there. No address, but you might be able to contact him thru his website - www.nngguitars.com

milkmesto said:
But no harm trying your luck, although now with heightened airline security you'd be lucky to carry on an effects pedal even! Do play it safe and get a hardcase though.

Also another guitar place to check out is NNG guitars - home of the famous Prasit. I'm told that you can visit him at his workshop, and that he has some amazing guitars on display there. No address, but you might be able to contact him thru his website - www.nngguitars.com

Oh yes ...airline security is air tight...see below

'URGENT ADVICE FOR CUSTOMERS TRAVELLING ON FLIGHTS TO OR FROM THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

16 August 2006

Singapore Airlines is advising customers traveling on flights to or from the United States of America that the following security arrangements are in place with immediate effect, by order of the Transportation Security Administration:

Passengers may not carry any liquids or gels past security screening points at airports except:

Baby formula, breast milk or juice for a small child or infant;
Prescription medicines bearing the name that matches that of the passenger’s ticket;
Insulin and other essential non-prescription medicines
No liquids or gels apart from those listed above, and including drinks or items purchased at the airport can be taken on board the aircraft.

Beverages, shampoo, suntan lotions, creams, toothpaste, hair gel and other items of a similar consistency are not permitted in the cabin. These items must be carried in checked baggage.

Due to the stringent security screening processes, Singapore Airlines is advising customers to check in early and to be prepared for delays.

Further updates will be provided as they become available."

Btw...i wish someone would bring in Prasist's masterpieces...

my fren checked in his strat put into a classical guitar bag from the UK to Sg n it turned out fine..came back in 1 piece..

btw wen go thailand y not use tt chance to hav a custom 1 built for u?like han of ranking..costs $2k..

sorry for the bump, but has anyone bought effects from bang kok before? all these experiences are mostly regarding guitars..

what if it's a bass? sorry i know a bit wrong section... but since yall talking bout it... any ideas? cause it's a tat big larger

Back