Audio interface

juube

Hey.. I'm thinking of getting an audio interface. Some people recommended the presonus firebox while some recommended Edirol FA-66. What are your reviews? Is there anything else better that fits the price range?? (like around 300)

Depends on what you are using it for - mic pre, numbers of ins and outs, midi, type of interface (firewire, PCMCIA, USB etc). Echo is pretty good at a price. M-audio is also low cost.

i hate the presonus firebox, but i have one, and its my main interface (still) :???:.

Like Cheez said, you should list your needs :)

Edirol FA-66 & Presonus Firebox have very similar features. Price wise I think Firebox is slightly cheaper. M-Audio's got a comparative product, but the size is bigger and heavier and it does not support hot-plugging. Personally I own a Firebox and it's become my regular gadget for live performances using my own softsynth. One feature firebox has is it can act as a standalone preamp even not connected to the computer.

Always remember that if you're doing home-recording and do NOT have a drum-set or instruments that require a lot of miking (then again, it's pointless to mic things up with bad room acoustics), you do NOT need that many i/o on your interface. Usually, you only need 4 in (balanced/unbalanced line x 2 and xlr mic x 2) and 2 out (line out; monitors). If you think you'll never need a mic, even 1 in 2 out would suffice. But never get one w/ 1 in and no out :lol:

Is it alright to plug my XLR outputs from a mixer into 2 seperate mic preamps on an interface to do stereo recordings?? Will that cause any problems??

Back