Asking for the most recommended effect for guitar solos in songs.

Hotpunk

Hi, I'm looking for an effect which can really stand out the guitar solo that u gonna play live in a song ...

What i mean is,

In a live play out, it might get too overwhelming ...

And i always feel that guitar solos tend to sound pretty soft ...

So, what's the effect that can really bring out the guitar solo and let it be heard ...

I'll truly appreciate any recommendation from anyone willing to help out ...

Thank You So Much ...

hmm, maybe an eq pedal? then maybe can add chorus or reverb or delay or wah to make the tone of the solo more unique?..
about the volume problem, maybe can get a booster pedal to increase the volume and tone..

hope this helps :)

maybe a lil touch of your own feel? you do realise most of the feel and emotions comes from the player itself.
if i was to give steve vai's setup to let say tom morello? and vice versa?
it just wont sound the same.

but yeah, you could use and EQ, delay, reverb?

you just need a volume boost.
many players get a volume booster with eq, but to me a volume boost is sufficient.. a lil too much mids or treble in a solo and your tone just cuts too much and may sound thin.
its also not very easy to tweak to a solo's volume level considering it has to be just right..

you need to cut through the mix, and fatten the tone. bear in mind that what works for chords may not work for solos, and vice-versa

volume boost alone may not be sufficient, if the tone was too thin to begin with. maybe what you should ask yourself is not what effects to use during solos, but what effects were already being used before and after the solo.

anyway welcome to soft, quite an interesting first post to make there 8)

yeah i just noticed this was his first post.

i guess he doesnt liek to dilly dally and get straight to the point.

" i want i get!"

haha..

and yeah, shinobi has a point..
its all trial and error..
plus its your tone. in my honest opinion i dont see a point of having a tone that everyone likes but you hate?

Reply ...

I really appreciate everyone who helped ...

I'm thinking of adding just a ' DELAY ' , but
will it bring out some difference in the volume ?

Will it give an impact ? :???:

What are everyone's views ...

If you feel that it's completely fine,
Is " BOSS DD - 6 [digital delay] " alright ?

About the ' VOLUME BOOST ' ,

Will it sound the same as the effect that you're already using, but louder ?

And what about ' EQUALIZER ' ??
BOSS GE - 7 ??

So, with a budget of $230, which one will you guys get ?

' DELAY ' or ' VOLUME BOOST ' or ' EQUALIZER ' ??

And what pedal will you guys recommend ??

Thank You !! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
pitch shifter! ahahah

i dont think a delay will make you cut through the mix but it does give your single notes a nice texture

I like to have a delay for that layering/texturing effect. Not too much, just enough to miss it when it's gone, but not overtly noticeable when it's present.

Adding another gain pedal can give you the desired volume boost, as well as a change in tone, be it adding more gain, more mids, more highs etc. It's up to your discretion.

I don't get it.. You want to be heard during solos..
Delays add texture, so don't expect it would be different than your undelayed solo..

What matters is using a volume boost to cut through the mix.. You want to retain your tone in rhythm, but just be louder right? A nice clean boost would work (eg. AC Booster, Boosty, Boost N Buff, etc)..

But if you want a different tone altogether, use a different od/distortion/fuzz or a dirty booster (RC Booster, etc) or a particular frequency boost (an equalizer like GE-7, or Menatone Top Boost in a Can, or CMat Mods Phat Boost, etc etc)

Hello,

Usually booster/volumepedal/EQ pedal does the job in cutting through the sound.

I usually use delay for not letting it sound so dry; "texturing?" and giving it some 'ambience' feel.

Do you have any gain pedals? OD, Distortion, booster etc. If you do, try this:

Switch on distortion, turn your OD/Dist/Booster's Gain to 1 or if possible 0, then pump the volume to max? Is that what you want? It's more like when you're playing and you step the next pedal, it boost what you want; for this case, volume. To cut through?

I prefer a gain pedal, though it may alter your tone a little as compared to volume pedal but it can be more versatile, once in awhile when you need more gain, a gain pedal does the job pretty well.

Well again, thats just me :S

Regards,

yo yo yo

This is an advise from the professional if u like it without any regret.

Get a Seymour Duncan pick up booster up to 25 db
Place it to the last before amplifier for example Ef1 Ef2 or Ef3 SD -- amp

Set the booster according to your comfortable volume level for guitar solo
Just adjust the knob minimum or maximum it recommended by experience
Player press the button when u solo off after solo.

It is so cool and amazing produce solid natural sound depend on your sound setting program, this is my tip to you satisfaction guaranteed and no more problem during you solo every single note can hear clearly.

Good luck

JACKMANN

Hey Hotpunk,

Replying from the visitor message:

Hey,
about the volume in solo,
what BOSS pedal will u recommend ?

For me I'll go for some gain pedals; say SD-1, Blues Driver (abit too edgy for me as a booster) or simply DS-1. DS-1 can do magic. :p

Regards,

So what pedal do you recommend ?

BOSS GE - 7 ?

I would recommend the GE-7.
I'm using one myself.
Playing in a 2-guitar band it helps me in boosting the volume and fatten up the sound during solos.
The other guitarist in my band is using an old Ibanez EQ pedal the same way.

Do you normally use that much distort during solos? Hmmm... Soloing I feel either get a volume pedal (for people without quick hands to shift up the volume on guitar), or booster as mentioned (to give a sudden up when soloing).

Delay is to add ambience, yes, but if you have a little chorus / eq to flavour it, it'll be quite nice too.

Back