Ask the Pro

benjso28

Hi James,

I was wondering if it is possible to have a "ask the pro" under each section, ie guitar, drums, piano, bass.

The idea came from talkbass.com where pro bassists like Todd Johnson, Janek, Ray, Michael Manring, Steve Lawson and etc avail themselves to answer some good qns.

If we can invite local pros like Bong, Bani Rahman, Jonathan Sim, Ruth Ling, Aubrey and others to take part to answer or share their concept/approach, practice routine and etc

It is also a good place for local artists to be known and also market the music school/bands that they worked in. Hopefully they will advertise their sch's curriculum and SOFT can get some fee for web maintenance. Also for those who endorse instruments, can also advertise in SOFT to push sales up.

Also when people get some interaction with them, they will also be more open to take lessons from them. This also will boost the web traffic in SOFT.

Depend whether these pros see this as an opportunities to be more known and also contribute to our local music industry.

Not limited to Bass, but for all instruments. Can start small and expand slowly. See who is available and buy this idea.

All levels musicians will be able to benefit from it. Although I can seek advise frm talkbass, but why not ask our local talents when we can :)

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Ben

Thanks for the suggestion. I would definitely love to have them posting here. Anyone can help me make the connections?

Hi Ben

Thanks for the suggestion. I would definitely love to have them posting here. Anyone can help me make the connections?

Hi James,

How abt checking with alvinthedrummer, since he comes soft frequently and I thk he is associated with themusiclab, where Bani Rahman(bass) teaches also.

Ruth Ling (piano) - http://www.ruthling.net
Jonathan Sim (Bass) - http://www.freewebs.com/jonathansim/
Aubrey (Drums) - www.soma.com.sg

Those pros will know each other and maybe can encourage one another to be part of this enriching section. :)

Cheers,

Ben

Good idea.

But, from what i know, not many pros have the time to contribute to forums. Most of the time, they are busy with recording albums, session for studio projects, gigs, overseas concerts. And during their free time, there will be students waiting for them to give lessons.

However, why focus on "Pros", when there are hobbyists and part-time musicians who are equally competent to give good answers to music and gears?

[=1mband

I'm sure the pros in the talkbass.com are equally busy as well but still able to make time. Sometimes when they share, they also learn. Depend whether people are willing to be part of this or not.

Of cos our hobbyists and part time/semi pros are competent to answer some qns but I believe some of them are not "equally competent" compare with those who r pros. Our current contributors focuse too much on gears and not techniques/theory/making music and etc.
But hobbyists can also continue to help contribute what they think. Does not means, we want pro dun wan the rest. This is a community.

Also this is a good time for local artists to contribute and be make known as well. Why they are not contributing yet maybe becos they are not invited to.

Bassist Wendy phua comes to soft but just to share her looping videos. I'm sure many people would like to find out more about her music making and concept.
That will also help her be more recognise and perhaps get more students.

Hi Ben,

Yes, i agree with what you have shared. Talkbass is lucky to have those pros and their contributions.

SOFT had been around for years. SOFT has many members who either know the pros as their friends, or, are students of the pros. I'm pretty sure many pros knew about SOFT. Therefore, the part on "maybe becos they are not invited to" doesn't really sound possible. If you can, do help to verify this by trying to invite one, and share with us your personal experience.

The pros are already well-known, they don't need to "be made known" further. You'll find threads created by SOFT members, talking about local pros. The members had already done this, the pros need not do it again.

Yes, this is a very gear-centric forum, just like most music forums around the world. At SOFT, just look at every instrument category, the "Gear" threads are always more than the "People" threads and "How-To" threads. This trend is something that was developed over time, and still is developing naturally in SOFT, a trend that is not easy to break.

Techniques/theory/writing music is something that is subjective.

Take theory for example, there are tonnes of simple and entry level theory shared over the Internet. You'll see them repeating over and over again, sites after sites, blogs after blogs. Same theory, just maybe different packaging. The pros need not waste their time sharing such.

Take techniques for example. If i'm a pro with a bag of tricks that I personally invented, the tendency is: i would wanna teach them in my personal lessons with my students, than to share it freely and openly over the Internet.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying all pros are like that. There are a few of them who are very generous to share good lessons in their YouTube page. Take "chewy" for example. To me, he is a pro, and he is very generous in the things that he shared over youtube.

Let me put a bookmark here, this book of discussion is not closed. We'll see what happens as SOFT continue to develope. Of course, provided someone really work hard to find ways to bring the pros in, if not, we'll still remain the same.

:)

Yes, pros, if you're reading this, we need your presence in SOFT. I'm only stating my experiences, don't let this turn you away.

Hi,

If I know any pros I will surely invite lo, but I don't. Hee

Well I believe not everyone here know who are the "pros". Not all are updated of our local heroes.

Anyway I'm not asking them to talk abt "pro" but to get pro to share their concept and how they approach music.

Theory are same but sometimes if you can explain it and teach pple how to apply, it make a difference. Most website will just teach you the scales for e.g. but forums is a gd place to discuss how else to apply.

Talkbass is "lucky"? Like wat I said earlier, I can still visit talkbass to get what I want to know, no problem. :)

Youtube does have many gd muscians who are freely sharing their techniques and music. Some even break down and teach pple. Maybe that is how u can get more students.
pple these days dun mind to share, they wan comments so tt they can improve themselves as well.

I don't see any harm of asking local pro to take part and share with the community if they are willing.
People here are glad to hear frm pros their point of view. e.g Bassinc and alvinthedrummer.
People respect them and also able to learn frm their view.

Actually if most pple dun find it necessary, then I feel no point even inviting the pros. No demand mah. End of the day, let the admin decide if it is a gd idea loh..

Cheers,

Ben

Back