:arrow: Results for SOFT 1st online music competition!

Mr Paulo, can you vote according to the voting scale?

soft said:
How to vote

Copy the following and paste it into your post (hit Reply).

Song 01 [1-2-3]
Song 02 [1-2-3]
Song 03 [1-2-3]
Song 04 [1-2-3]
Song 05 [1-2-3]
Song 06 [1-2-3]
Song 07 [1-2-3]
Song 08 [1-2-3]
Song 09 [1-2-3]
Song 10 [1-2-3]
Song 11 [1-2-3]

Give each Song a score. 1 being so-so. 3 being great.

Song 1 - 37 votes
Song 2 - 71 votes
Song 3 - 65 votes
Song 4 - 68 votes
Song 5 - 32 votes
Song 6 - 56 votes
Song 7 - 69 votes
Song 8 - 58 votes
Song 9 - 33 votes
Song 10 - 56 votes
Song 11 - 71 votes

As there is a tie, I will be the final judge and the winner is .....

Song 2 - Click to hear the winning entry.

* will contact the winner to collect his/her prize.

Super thanks to City Music for sponsoring the first SOFT online music competition!

Wow. Quite a number of songs are quite close. Congrats to everybody! I think everybody put in a great effort!

Thanks to City Music for your generosity.

Any speech from arranger of Song no. 2? Well done!

cheez, just listened to your 'late' entry and it is very good! you want to post it here? got that john tesh feeling man. :lol:

Who is John Tesh? Don't know leh..

Anyway, here it is:
http://s27.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=02YH1JEJ2DZG61NF27RQR008SW

The reason I didn't compete was because my dad was very ill at the time of this competition - cancer. I wrote it thinking about him - and ended getting emotional. He had a very hard life so his children can have a better life than him. So, this piece is for all SOFTies, and my dad.

Title: The Softer Side. A simple piece for piano and strings.

It's done quickly, so there are a number of trouble places which I really have no time to make it perfect.

For the more sequencing/software inclined, it is done using:

PMI Emperor (a 36 sample/per note Bosendorfer 290), violins 1 and 2 (using at least 4 articulations each) and cellos from Kirk Hunter Symphonic Orchestra (Emerald), some various percussions from Advanced Orchestra and Wizoo.

I know I promised something faster, but sorry I felt somewhat melancholic at the time of writing. So this is another slow piece. Also, since I'm not in the competition, I guess I'm allowed to change the melody line slightly and go longer than 3 minutes... But it's still based heavily on the melody line by James, and so this song is also credited to him as one of the composers.

Enjoy.

Cheez, what a nice piece from you again...
It is my favorite type...
very "new age".

Hm...
Just little thinking,
if acoustic guitar added into it as a light appegio, and melody (or double the string???) somewhere,
will it be nice?
Ha... ha... just my little thought only.

BTW, i feel that the string is a bit too thin when used as a melody.
Will it better if double the string with a violin solo?

James, are you dissapointed on the submission rate & voting rate?
Will it be a 2nd SOFT music compomoetition?

Will SOFTies still take part if no prize but for fun???

hello

Hi this is composer of Song 2. Thank you so much to those people who have taken time to listen and give comments to the music. It has been a great fun. Thank you so much!

philbeat, tell us a bit on how you created the piece? how you lay the tracks and did those 'weird' crushed chords?

are you a fulltime musician?

mingguan said:
if acoustic guitar added into it as a light appegio, and melody (or double the string???) somewhere,
will it be nice?
Ha... ha... just my little thought only.

BTW, i feel that the string is a bit too thin when used as a melody.
Will it better if double the string with a violin solo?

Thanks mingguan for your comments. Actually, I almost added a woodwind instrument - I was deciding between a flute and a bassoon. But flute is too high pitched and I didn't want to complicate things. It have to bring out the flavour of my father, whom I'm depicting. I also almost added violas and double basses to make the strings a full section - but left that out as well.

As for guitar, I think the mood will be drastically different if that's used. Also, you've probably noticed, I've used totally rubato again (metronome totally turned off). Guitar arppegios will be difficult to make it sync with piano.

As for strings in the melody, it's actually already the full strings (12 violins 1 and 12 violins 2 - 24 violin section of a full orchestra). I did think of adding violas as I said. But then I thought I didn't want to add in too much - I want it to be as comtemplative as possible and not too thick. In fact, I thought it's already a little too thick! I would have used smaller string sections (chamber strings) if I have them - but I don't. That would really suit what I wanted to create. But your suggestion is a good thought. A different occasion/focus and a different title, I think adding thicker strings will definitely work well! Thanks for your constructive comments.

Philbeat, what hardware/software did you use? Share a bit leh... Congrats again!

hi

Hi, in a way i am doing music full time. Love writing all kinds of music.

For my piece, talls chords are formed to create more freedom and space in the progression. The entire piece is just based on the given notes and the chords that i have used in the beginning. Different parts of the given line is highlighted in each session to make the song cohesive. Thus all the ingredients used are all introduced in the first few bars of the songs.

The way that i tried to excite each session is to use different drumbeats and treatment of each sound. eg. Piano goes thru different acoustic modification, tyring to provide new audio space and depth.

Tempo and rhythm changes is what i always enjoy, Especially when introducing halftime to the earlier tempo. I think the linkage to these "episodes" is the most impt. to make this work.

Doing the less expected is more fun for both listener and arranger. Thru this, it helps to build new perspective while listening, leading the audiences hopefully to a playground of sounds and aural landscape.

:>

Philbeat, excellent concept! Actually, I was dreaming for a while to do something like that (that's me - ideas comes up all the time but no time to realise them). I was thinking of a piece of max 5 minutes based on one theme, but the piece goes through the entire history of music - start with gregorian chant, then Rennaisance - Classical - Romantic - Jazz - Big Band - Pop - Electronic, and finally ending with everything mixed together as one! Don't have to have everything I mentioned, but enough to feel the change in the development in the history of music (different styles, different chordal usage etc). The trick, as you said, is to make them join smoothly (the linkage).

Any thoughts of doing something like this? I'll give this idea to your free!

Cheez said:
...start with gregorian chant, then Rennaisance - Classical - Romantic - Jazz - Big Band - Pop - Electronic...
hm...
For Jazz, Big Band, Pop, Electronic can be easy recognised.
But for Gregorian chant, Rennaisance, Classical, Romantic;
a bit difficult lei....

philbeat said:
...The entire piece is just based on the given notes and the chords that i have used in the beginning. Different parts of the given line is highlighted in each session to make the song cohesive. Thus all the ingredients used are all introduced in the first few bars of the songs...
You very creative hor...

mingguan said:
For Jazz, Big Band, Pop, Electronic can be easy recognised.
But for Gregorian chant, Rennaisance, Classical, Romantic;
a bit difficult lei....

Not really - use of instruments and combinations of instruments different, style totally different, orchestration also totally different. Using harpsichord and chamber strings with a recorder will sound very different from full orchestra using 8 horns, full percussion and harp (for example). Gregorian chant is the most obvious - just chanting. Not easy, although I do have male and boys vocal sample sets. Anyway, it's a dream and I'm not sure if it ever will be done... That's why when I heard Philbeat's song, it felt like someone got to it before me!

Mingguan, maybe we collaborate on this one...some time.

Back