Any License needed to perform outdoors?

bryanlim

Hi all,

http://www.compass.org.sg/cIndex2.aspx

Do we need to apply for any sort of copy right license, fire safety license, entertainment license etc if we are holding our own event outdoors, be it private or to the public?

As bands, do we get into any form of trouble performing covers to the public?

Any exp coordinators please help me out. Appreciate it.

to hold any performance in a public place you need either public entertainment or arts entertainment license from MDA/MICA/Police. This costs about $10 per day

If you intend to perform material that is covered by copyrights licensed to compass (ie. any international copyrighted material, and stuff from local artists that have registered with compass such Electrico and Plainsunset, and even your own songs if you are personally registered with Compass) then you need to apply for a performance of copyright works permit. This is charged as a percentage of gross ticket sales revenue (2.5% i think) but the minimum ticket price is set at $40 (or something like that). If your event is free or ticket below $40 they will charge the license based on $40 x no of audience x 2.5%.

Fire safety license is only required if you are building any structures (e.g staging) or indoors (how many ppl are allowed in the venue etc).

if your sound equipment requires you to use generator then you also need to consider a PUB license for that which requires a certified single line drawing from an engineer (will usually cost around $1000 to get that drawing. You can often get the generator rental company to settle that for you tho as they will normally have special rates.

Hope this helps and doesn't scare you too much!!

Of course this is the by right approach. If you show is small enough and you think can slip under radar then you can always ignore all these and go by left one... But I suggest minimum get the entertainment license.

Thanks for the reply. Alot of help in that post!

As for the compass copyright issue, I am pretty sad that live bands are suppose to pay for the copyrights for any form of outdoor performance.

I made a call to compass, and given them my senario of inviting a band to do an FREE outdoor performance.

Staggered short duration performances of not more than 30 minutes each
$360 a day for total performance duration not exceeding 3 hrs
$120 for each additional hour or part thereof

WOO! even for a free event I am organising, I have to come out with $360. It means that any buskers down orchard road playing copyrighted materials would have to pay the license fee or they would be charged accordingly. That was the answer from the officer from Compass.

I wonder if there are any groups to fight for local bands. I mean we can ignore it and just hold the gig, but again, compass is formed to help musicians issin't it.

Last edited:
heh, fight for local bands to play covers?

We are taking 10 steps back while taking one small step ahead in so called "helping local band scene"

anyway, imho, wanna do, just do, if dont want to get caught, pay.

Back