Annoying Feedback Noise

lexxmexx

Not sure if anyone had experienced this before. When I hold a long note, say open E for more than 8 beats, I noticed that, instead of fading off, the note will get louder and louder and the pitch will go high into a loud high pitch howl. This means that I cannot hold a long note or the noise will come out again.

I believe that this was due to feedback but I am not sure whether it's from the amp or from my bass pickups. I normally stand about 1 foot infront of the amp with my back facing it. The gain setting is usually set at 12 o'clock position, volume at 1 o'clock. This had happened at 2 of the studios which I had played in so far.

Will adjusting the Eq settings help? If yes, what range of frequency should I cut? Anyone knows how to get rid of this noise?

your el cheapo bass comes with microphonic pickups....cheap stuff...really.

if you have money get new after market ones like EMGs , seymour duncans, dimarzios.

i never have this 'problem' as i have quality FENDER basses....

err wtf aquanaut?
lexx firstly check if your pickup and control cavities are shielded or not.
secondly check if your pickup height is too high. (doubt its this tho)
lastly are you using pedals? your gain might be too high.

What makes you think that's it's an el cheapo? If you don't have anything constructive to say, please STFU!

Thanks yuujin, yes I am using a compression pedal but the feedback is still present even without the pedal but not as bad. How to tell if the pickup and control cavities are shielded or not?

open up and see if its lined with either copper sheets/tape or if its painted in black conductive paint.
if you're using a fender there should be a copper plate.
you might need to rewire the control cavity to star grounding and/or re-ground the ground wires.

sounds like a cool effect actually, but irritating if you intend to play it like a proper bass

Last edited:
1. check your amp plug...is ist 2 pin or 3 pin, if 2 pin change o 3 as the 3rd pin is for grounding.

2. what bass are you using?

3. you can see my avatar, i am holding my fender '75 jazz bass (just one from my collection) , pure american and great quality. also my amp plug is 3 pin.

......three cheers for el cheapo basses .......

dont stand so near the cab lah. if you need to be loud then stand further away

i would have thought that feedback is due to the position of the pups in relation to the speaker

hey lexx i think you should tell us the brand/model.
easier to diagnose?

MM Stingray 5

To the gear snob who looks down on other people's gears, let's see who is the el cheapo here.
No point talking to trolls.

Last edited:
you'll get less feedback if you face the amp or stand sideways- it's because the vibrations from the amp are being transmitted through your body (larger surface area) and amplified back into the bass (because of the comparatively small surface area), causing the feedback you're experiencing. it's happened to me before :) just stand farther from the amp.

actually, if you're in a jamming studio you might get better sound if everyone stands across the room from their amps. lets you hear your tone better in the mix.

-
-
also... ahem ahem american does not always equal quality ;) just look at lakland

Last edited:
What the fcuk is the matter with you, asshole? You have a problem???
Your lousy fender is so cheap looking I wouldn't even consider getting one! And it is not even that expensive anyway. LOSER _|_

Can you just get lost, fcuking troll...

Last edited:
you guys are like 10 year old kids. TEACHER he pinch me so i pinch him back, so he pinches me back and i pinch him back, and he pinches me back so i pinch him back and he pinches me back so i pinch him back

lexxmexx....goosfrah - bah......why so serious? i am only joking......why so serious?......

james...how come lexxmexx use 'FCUK' and never kena reprimand? he call me a troll!....and an asshole.....such terrible language....

Last edited:
i kena censored for using the feminine word for dog. i don't want to hear your woes about the lack of censors

and i thought it was a damn suitable word as well :(

dearest aquanut,

as a fellow SOFT member and a fellow bass player i think the way you've replied the post isn't very nice of you.

At the end of the day all of us share the same passion of playing the bass and we would like to help one another in the journey, enjoy the fun of playing the bass and make new friends on the forum.

It's nice to see that you have quality basses but it's not the basses that make the player but the player who makes the bass. it's hard to respect a musician who display such attitude as this when one things that you are far above the rest.

It'll be nice to say sorry for what you've said but you can always choose to say no. I think you'll just lose my respect for you and the respect of other SOFTies here. Not very nice yes?

exin...i don't really care let alone know who you really are....bass player or ass player...really...
so to quote your effeminate friend lexxmexx....'go FCUK yourself'...

Back