Amp recommendation

Mirrorboy

I have an amp at home.. but don't really like it.

Am intending to get a new one.. but my budget's kinda low. I just want something decent enough for bedroom practise.. Budget is around let's say 150+/- not exceeding 180

Am aiming for 2nd hand amps. I don't really know much about amps though.. just started playing and still learning.. :D

EDIT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I have recently found out about the Randall Ninja V2xm

randallninjav2xm.jpg

And the Roland Cube-30x

R11-CUBE30X.jpg

I kinda think the Randall is lacking in built in efx and would prefer the Roland. However my friend gave me some advice and said it won't sound good and it's better to pick the Randall..

Any advices? :(

Last edited:
hmm with that kinda budget, i wouldn't expect anything fancy. i'd recommend the orange micro crush. But like what ed said, there are cheap deals from time to time and you could land yourself with a decent amp.

Ibanez Valbee. Tube amp with efx send/return, something for you to play with till you upgrade to something bigger, better in future. Remember to get it during SL sale. $180 should be it.

I would really recommend the Roland MicroCube. It's a brilliant practice amp with tons of features and doesn't cost a lot. I have the MicroCube RX (slightly better version) and I'm in love with it.

this is an alternative proposal:

if you want a quality palette of tones, it's prudent to invest in an inter-face (assuming you have a decent set of speakers attached to your computer- no problems for gaming buffs :cool: ), example being:

toneport_ux1.jpg

this is an alternative proposal:

if you want a quality palette of tones, it's prudent to invest in an inter-face (assuming you have a decent set of speakers attached to your computer- no problems for gaming buffs :cool: ), example being:

toneport_ux1.jpg

how do i use that? hook to computer or amp?
anybody using kustom practice amp, whats your take on the sound?

well try the vox pathfinder series!

but best bet is the valbee. cos its a tube combo. really small and loud.

i still recommend the pathfinder series though!

These recording interfaces are good, but keep in mind that it requires you to actually turn on your com and plug it in to play/practise as these do not produce sounds on their own a la multi-effects units.

Just hang around the trade forums once in a while and you'll find something that fits your budget soon. Not really useful advising on what to get when there's no one selling it 2nd hand.

roland cube x-series? i kinda dig the power squeezer mode from what i see in online videos.

vox pathfinder? the absence of the mid control kinda sucks to me but if u have external eq, shouldnt be a problem.

valbee can get for 180? wow didnt know that! its TUBEEEEEEE. huaha.

thanks, nice gadget to experiment with..
but it defeat the purpose of old concept of guitar & amp wouldn't it?
That's primarily a recording device actually, nothing wrong with old school guitar & amp combo, but technology's allowing us more options when it comes to electric guitar playing now...

I actually use various methods of practising me guitar. I use my Vox Amplug -- not the best sound you can get -- when I'm in camp for convenience. I use my headphones to Pod X3 for serious practising of sequenced songs. And I use the old guitar and amp combo to get inspiration on new stuff, as well as to occasionally blast it super loud to add sme oomph to my neighbours' lives!

The Ibanez TBX30R would be a good choice. If you want first hand amp, get a Vox pathfinder. Fits your budget. ;)

the valbee sounds really good...just concerned about the bass response and "airiness" of sound since the speaker is only 6"4....which is even smaller than the smallest ss amp i own...

I guess im too used to the full frequency response of a 12" speaker. nothing beats that!

Haha totally agree with u ized, nothing beats a 12" speaker unless a 15"?? Keke btw i do recommend the blackheart amps really nice tube amps that will not break ur bank, i think yamaha is selling the little giant combo with 12" speaker (its designed by eminence) for like around 500 (not very sure with the price but i think shouldn't be too much of a difference).......

Back