allen key size question

shinobi

i hope i dont get flamed for asking a noob question...

i need to know the correct size allen keys for the truss rod of a japanese fender bass and a hipshot vintage Bridge.

yah in case you were wondering, i carry the set around and i just lost it.

i can just buy the entire set of keys but then if i'm not mistaken the fender japan uses metric while the hipshot is imperial, so i would need to buy 2 sets of keys. if i can get them individually it would be much better

i doubt you can get a single key by itself, recently i was also hunting high and low for an allen key for my ibanez, but yea in the end i just bought the whole set, fyi try not to buy overly cheap ones.. i ended up buying twice cause the first set i bought when used it the tip of the key wore off after afew tries.. so yea

hmm thanks man. i will probably get a set from a hardware store somewhere. maybe i will buy some crap in the future that requires them

but dont go spending more thn 10 bucks, some sets are ridiculously expensive, besides those at the hdb hardware stalls should do the job, the only thing is try not to get the 2 dollar ones..

ya i know what you're referring to... the ones that come in a big keychain. from those ahpek discount shops.

i went to homefix siglap which was in my area and found $10 sets. i figured every allen key i could ever need would be there. more on that later...

so i had to get 2 sets. the metric set for the truss rod was fine. but the bridge saddle slot (which i believe is imperial) was too small for the smallest key in the imperial set!!!

to ensure that i don't cockup again, i emailed hipshot but so far haven't received a reply. does anyone know the size?

i got to exchange the allen key set. maybe i can do it at homefix marina square? seems to be their biggest outlet

i was about yo suggest you try homefix, allen keys are easily found there, but you have already bought it from there hahha :)

was about to recommend you buy 2 sets too - metric and imperial but you also did that.

with these 2 sets, yo will have no more worry. you can use the imperial set for US basses on truss rods and saddles and all that.

on japanese basses some parts are metric while some are imperial, especially the bridge as they may import those from US.

the sets i got were the Stanley hex sets, and the smallest key worked for me on the bridge saddles.

I would suggest you wait for Hipshot's reply or try enquiring on TB before buying from Homefix My personal encounter was trying to find the correct size for my Roscoe LG Truss Rod. Thinking that buying a simple set ($10) from Homefix would suffice, i end up getting the wrong set. Could not exchange as i opened the package. In the end, i found out that what i require is 9/64 inch which was not as common. So i went down to Homefix again to get another set which cost over $20 that has the 9/64 inch.

I would not say its money wasted since i now have both the metric and imperial set but its the time and effort that was used in vain.

ok update... soon after my last post, hipshot replied stating that the key size is .050"

i went to homefix at marina square and did an exchange. i initially bought stanleys, but the set i bought obviously had one too few keys...

stanleys are quite expensive, in the end exchanged them for a brand which was cheaper but had more keys. although the metric set was OK i exchanged that as well.

i got an imperial and metric set (although metric set was ok, preferred this set) of 'bondhus gorilla grip' keys which come in a swiss army knife thingy. which is good cos i'm probably less likely to lose them AGAIN that way.

when you do an exchange homefix has a rule that the new receipt must have a value of AT LEAST that of the item exchanged. i topped up the difference with an energizer 9V batt, still fell short by a mere 20cents. i told the girl to keep the 20cents, she said cannot. so i had to pay about 3 bucks to buy another battery wtf.

at least the batteries will come useful for the j-retro that i just bought....

now i'm really broke, recently ordered the source audio soundblox pro bass distortion, was doing a custom pedalboard project, now the j-retro. i think i will have alot of things to report in due time.

homefix marina square rocks. homefix siglap sucks

i hope people will read this thread and not cockup in the future

Last edited:
you are not gonna believe the aftermath. after i replaced the allen keys everything, i found my original set. -_-

i just installed my j-retro. 'TIGHT FIT' sums it up.

lol haha atleast you have a spare set now and if u lost one saves you the trouble of hunting down another set :)

Back