Alesis io2 with cubase 5

computers70

I am currently using Alesis io2 with cubase 5. While opening up a few tracks with absynth 5, Asio keeps showing time out and audio glitching occurs, cpu usage will be around 40%. What is the problem here or is this a problem

I am currently using a acer laptop

processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 QL64,
RAM : 4096MB DDR2 800MHz (2x2GB),
HDD : 500GB 5400rpm,
display : 15.6" WXGA HD (1366 x 768) CrystalBrite,
graphic card : ATI Radeon 4570 512MB,

Outta the 6 tracks running absynth, do consider freezing the tracks which is not active, audio waveform will be rendered for playback instead of relying on the midi notes triggering the vsti.

6x absynth in 6 different tracks is gonna tax the cpu hard.

Does everything run without glitches on fewer instances of Absynth? If so, how many would you start to get into audio glitches?

It is fine if i am playingback 4 tracks, but 6 tracks simultaneously will cause the glitch, I am working on my music my by freezing parts, if I need to hear the whole piece I need to export out. This is frustrating, I need to do something about it. I am not in the moment of buying a new laptop, upgrading would be an option.

Is your notebook dual booted? DAW needs a dedicated OS to give it the best performance in terms of CPU and RAM power, esp if you are heavy on plugins. If you are not dual booted, you have 2 choices:

1. Consider dual booting. This will require you to re-partition your HD. Then install one OS in one partition for your everyday usual stuff, and one OS in a partition dedicated to only DAW and nothing else (not even antivirus). If you can't re-partition your HD for any reason, then you'll probably want to consider reformatting your HD then partition it that way. If this is what you are going to do, then also consider Windows 7 instead of Vista for a fresh install. Trust me. Once you go Win 7, you'll never want to turn back to Vista.

2. If you don't want to go that path (which is the ideal), then you are left with trying to optimize your current setup. This is not the best, but optimization may squeeze a little more CPU power. There are many optimization steps - but the easiest is probably to download the trial version of JVpowertools (www.macecraft.com). I have been using this nifty software for many years. There are quite a few tools in there that let you tweak things without going too deep into the registry the hard way, esp if you are not familiar with fiddling around with your registry. With JVpowertools, you can:

(a) Clean the registry. This is one of the safest registry cleaner I know of with very low false positives and negatives (almost none).
(b) Uninstall software that you "thought" you uninstalled in the past. Most of them leave stuff behind, which you can locate and uninstall those components again.
(c) Choose which software you want to start up automatically when you boot up. The way we do this is usually via msconfig, but the software lets you do that as well. We really don't want many software to startup. Disable most of them - esp antivirus.
(d) There are a few other tools in there for optimization, which you'll see once you install it.

After you do this, you should be able to squeeze a little more CPU and RAM. If that doesn't work too well, then do consider dual booting.

If you are already dual booted, then you can ignore everything I wrote down! But still do try to run JVpowertools.

Last edited:
Good decision. You'll find that gives you the most out of your notebook specs. My notebook is dual booted. On the DAW partition, I run so many instances of Kontakt (with large samples) that it amazes me. Without audio glitches. I've not encountered any audio glitches yet (ie I've not reached the max yet) even with multiple audio tracks + multiple effect plugins PER TRACK (must be at least 15+ effects plugins). I've not tried to stretch Absynth yet. I may try just to experiment...

My notebook specs is better though - C2D 2.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM, 7200rpm HD. Win 7 64-bit.

Last edited:
Back