Actual open mic in Singapore?

gtuckerkellogg

Where are the actual open mic venues in Singapore? I've been struck by how basically all the Chinese pubs in Singapore have open karaoke, but how few pubs have any performance music, open mic or otherwise. Compare that to a stroll through HouHai in Beijing, where every other pub books a singer/songwriter with an acoustic guitar doing a mix of covers and originals. Even this forum is virtual open mic, rather than live performance. I think I must just not have found the right scene. (I haven't spent enough time in Beijing to discover their open mic scene, but I'm sure there is a substantial one just from the level of singer/songwriter activity.)

I'm not meaning to dis the Singapore music scene, just trying to understand it.

I know of Singapore Art Cafe.

They've got a pretty active Facebook presence going on, so do join the group if you're interested.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4814476811

Hallo friends of the Singapore Art Cafe. Here's what's usually happening down here at the SAC.

Open Mics are held every Friday 7-9pm, where anyone can come up to belt out songs in an acoustic setting. For fans of Mandarin pop, the monthly S-Pop Open Mic is on the last Thursday of the month.

Come support these gatherings of talents. And why not try out being one yourself on Fridays at the open mics? Start walking, here at the SAC... see ya there :)

Hit paydirt. Found this article that's got just what you're looking for.

If you can sing or play an instrument, get out of the house and perform at open mics, says Alexander Bell

Singapore is awash with musical talent. Wherever you go, from town to the Quays, you can listen to live performers. Simple, acoustic guitar rhythms dominate the landscape, coupled with rock bands blasting Hoobastank, Guns N’ Roses and Simple Minds. Throw in innumerable dimly lit karaoke venues, and you have a community that simply loves to flex its vocal chords.

But another outlet is slowly gaining popularity – the open mic. This is where anyone can simply turn up, get on stage and perform. You just approach the bar, jot your name down and wait for your moment under the spotlight. Okay, so you’re not getting paid and groupies are harder to come by, but at least you can exercise your talent. And usually there are other resident musicians on hand to offer support, whether it’s pianists, guitarists, or even a full house band, so you’re not up there on your own – unless you want to be, of course.

A driving force behind the local scene is Jonathan How, founder and general manager of the Singapore Art Café. Aside from hosting the GOT! (Gathering of Talents) Music Showcase on Wednesdays, How – along with singer/ guitarist Syltra Lee – runs the Friday Night Jam, which has been going for a year now. How tickles the ivories and provides backing for a variety of acts: ‘We once had a ten-year-old sing “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star”, and a regular jammer is Henry Foo, an elderly man with a penchant for The Beatles,’ says How. Classical and musical performances are common, with professional musicians dropping in to work on their latest projects. But, of course, the standard does vary. While not as terrible as the hilarious Singapore Idol auditions, duff notes do fill the air on occasion. However, the main theme of the Friday Night Jam is a love of music and a strong support network for those brave enough to express themselves. Bad or brilliant, a round of applause is guaranteed.

While the Art Café has the odd pre-pubescent kid on the bill and provides only acoustic fare, Crazy Elephant offers a bit more of an edge and a lot more noise. Since 1994, the Blues/Rock Jam has been running every Sunday night at 10pm. The resident band, Blues Machine, gets the beat going, and musicians – ranging from vocalists and drummers to bass players, guitarists and saxophonists – are invited up to play. Manager Anita Lydia feels Crazy Elephant provides a unique opportunity for budding performers. ‘We get people from all walks of life [locals, expats, tourists], some of whom have their own bands, but for individuals, we also have the basic equipment set up. However, if you play the harmonica or sax, we’d definitely recommend bringing your own [for hygiene purposes],’ she says.

A much newer kid on the block is Wednesday nights (9pm) at H.I.G.H. Club. Opened in August, it’s a true test of your talent, as no backing is provided. Generally, soloists or small bands try out their material. The vibe at the venue is pretty laid-back, with some electronic gaming on hand if you get nervous and need to relax.

If your preferred genre is jazz, then step into Harry’s @ Boat Quay on a Sunday evening. Running for 13 years, the Jazz Jam sessions can go on until 1am. House band ChromaZone supply professional backing to anyone who wants to give jazz a go, whether as a vocalist or instrumentalist. Band-leader and organiser Rick Smith says the door is wide open to all. ‘We encourage anyone to try – students and pros, tourists and locals, wannabes and has-beens, young and old,’ he says. ‘And although the format is mostly jazz, we’ll try anything once.’ But keep in mind that the standard is pretty high, which attracts musicians with ability. However, novices also relish the opportunity to play with pros. ‘Sometimes you throw a few people together who have never played before and the magic just happens,’ says Smith. ‘It’s a mixture of the sublime to the ridiculous, but the energy is always positive. We’ve also had some quite famous folks. Wynton Marsalis, Terumasa Hino and Wess Anderson are just a few who have jammed with us.’

Not only are open mics great fun – once you get over the butterflies, of course – but they’re also good for business. Singapore venues are well aware of the financial benefits of the open-mic concept. Those brave enough to give it a go often bring along friends for support, which contributes not only to the bar takings, but also extra exposure to clientele that perhaps wouldn’t visit otherwise. And the singers/musicians themselves like and actually need a few drinks beforehand – some a lot more than others. Just remember, all musicians have to start somewhere. So even if you don’t have an inner Robbie Williams trying to escape, get out there and support the open mics – you could be listening to the next big thing.

by Alex Bell

http://www.timeout.com/sg/en/music/feature/sole-ambitions
I believe one that's not mentioned is Jazz@Southbridge (Sunday Nights).

The open mic at spore art cafe is always in my mind, friday nite jam hosted by Syltra Lee, and the very good manager of sac jonathan is kind and friendly., this sac is where i can truly call home in spore.
The art cafe not only serve good food,the open mic and these warm greeting and friendly smile is always presence in that venue.
I ve seen many young budding talents who made the art cafe open mic thier stage to shine... one of them who hosted the friday nite jam have move up since and making her music to a bigger stage.
Here is clip of spore art cafe for your viewing.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=F9EHjgpj3iI

Back