Acoustic guitar help!

FPaulLes

I just re string my Maestro guitar with D'Addario Ej10 80/20 bronze but my A string has this buzz sound. Then i turn the guitar and the A string is touching the 1st fret. How do I stop this buzz sound?

Hi FPaulLes,

EJ10 are with gauge .010 .014 .023 .030W .039W .047W
These are way lighter than the normal gauge a maestro is fitted with. Which will in result cause insufficient string pull over the neck. Insufficient string tension will cause ur neck unable to come up to a correct setting.

The correct setting for a Maestro is around 012 .016 .024w .032w .042w .053w

If you find the gauge 12 are too thick for you, the lowest i would recomend w/o any additional set up is gauge .011 sets.

You will be wondering how come you'll see people like paul ponnodurai that uses electric guitar light gauge on the Maestro Guitar and there isn't much of a buzz. His guitar is specially set up in order to do so.

Here are a few options:
-Change to at least .011 - .012 gauge strings
-Send your guitar for a basic set up or if you think you are capable then do at your own risk.

Here's the myth that isnt true:
-the frets are not done properly(your string is touching the fret most probably due to the lack of string tension)
-the neck have warped(a guitar neck is very flexible if you realised and with modern technology of the double action trust rod, a warped neck is actually rare.)

Hope it helps :)

Warmest Regards

Vincent
Retail Manager
Maestro Guitars

Hey Vincent, thanks man! I will try gauge 11 strings and if the buzz is still there, how much will charge for the setup?

Back