Acoustic Foam Help

maaply

So I've just bought an Orange Rig and I was thinking of wanting to reduce the noise emitting our from my room. Read it up somewhere that Acoustic Foam absorb the sound bouncing off the walls/doors of my room and not really helping in soundproofing it.

Does acoustic foam work well enough to just reduce the noise coming out of my room? Or Must I invest heavily in expensive soundproofing materials to overlay on my wall?

I don't mind others hearing what I play but rather just to get complains for playing too loud all the time LOL

I think most of the sound leakage would be through the door. Either the door is too thin/hollow or there are gaps between the door and floor/frame. Next to tackle are the windows.

I don't want to sound too downbeat but unless you're ready for a massive investment don't expect any decent soundproofing from affordable, DIY solutions. Sound is just like water: as soon as you soundproof one thing, it will leak through the next weakest spot. Efficient soundproofing implies structural work in most cases.

Acoustic foam treats primarily high frequencies, some of the medium frequencies (depending on its density), and very few to none of the low frequencies. Covering the entire room in acoustic foam will only result in making it sound a lot darker and somewhat muffled but low frequencies will still leak out of your room as strong as ever. Low soundwaves are very long and spread a lot farther.

FYI there are tons of videos on YouTube that supposedly state how to soundproof your room for cheap. This is all bullshit, real soundproofing takes a lot of work, there is no way around that. This video should give you an idea of what I'm talking about: https://youtu.be/BYD7WBzUduA

Last edited:
Yea I've watched some videos on it and it's pretty expensive.... The solution I'm looking for is not a 100% Soundproofing solution but rather ways to just dampen sound emitting from certain places of my room if possible thus was thinking of some solutions.

Back