Ac 30

imsuchajoker

Hi softies!
Any ac30 users out there? :)
Planning to get one. Deciding btwn that (ac 30Cc1)and the Ad50Vt.

Ac 30 users could you kindly reply on some thoughts about the amp. heard its pretty hard to change the tubes. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

EDIT:Typo

The AC30cc is made in China and has a horrible design in which you need to remove a freakin lot of things to access the tubes. There have been reports of rusty screws used in the cabinet and a strange harmonic hum that can't be removed.

On the other hand, there have been lots of reports that it sounds great, and our friend ciel went to try it once and didn't hear the harmonic hum. I haven't tried it myself yet. I have however, tried the AD50VT and like all the other modelling amps i've tried, I think it sucks. Had there been a way to bypass the modelling it might have been slightly better but I'll never know.

Thanks for the reply blueark.
Yeah its made in china isnt it? Interesting.
Hm are to recommend any modelling amps thatll do the job?
I suppose ciel tried it at city music?
Luther says they dont have stock have to order.
Thanks! keep the replys coming

Yep he tried it the minute it arrived haha. He was very gian to buy one. There's a vintage AC30 top boost at guitar connection. I believe it's going for $3.5k.

I'm really not the guy to talk to about modelling amps because so far all that i've tried i've disliked immensly. Line6 spiders, Vox ADVTs, Crate, Fender and the Roland Cubes. Didn't like any of them.

I think they are great practice amps. Really the perfect thing for starting out, so you can get a feel of the effects and the amps that you would like to own in the future, without breaking your wallet or having lots of bulky stuff at home. But they are nowhere near the real things tone and feelwise.

Haha icic.
Alright thanks for the help! Will go down tomorrow to try it meself. Just looking for the Ac30 clean channel like sound actually dont really need the efx.
Thanks anyway! Keep the replies coming in ;)

theblueark said:
I have however, tried the AD50VT and like all the other modelling amps i've tried, I think it sucks. Had there been a way to bypass the modelling it might have been slightly better but I'll never know.

There is indeed a bypass button to well, bypass the effects. The cleans are nice, for the AD50VT you get a choice of more kinds of cleans. There's the TWEED 4x10 which I think is fantastic to use with other analogue pedals.

And you have to try to find out, can't just base it on others' preference. The only conclusion on the AD50VT is that for a modelling amp, this is the most sophisticated around I think. There's many many ways to personalize the effects to your liking, it's more like a computer than an amp i think.

you can bypass the efx but you cant bypass the amp modeling. which is the sucky point. and they usually dun take to pedals very well due to the design on modeling amps.

if you want the tube sound get a tube amp. modelling will get somwhere in teh region but not there.

Anyway, i recommend the head version though if your worried abt unsoldering the speaker leads and unscrewing the chassi to get to the tubes. Head u just need to remove the backpanel to get to teh tubes so easier but you do have to pay a few hundred more for the cab.

AC30 sound have a few options. How many watts you looking at? 30W and above? The Laney VC30 is supposedly a clone of the AC30. Ciel says it doesn't sound alike though. It's nice on it's own but missing the chime of the AC30. I would say its quite a neutral amp. There's also the younger brother the VC15 which is the main amps at Crazy Elephant.

The Laney LC30 is a similar circuit but with a different EQ. EQ is everything in amps so you'll end up with something really quite different.

If you can find one, the old Vox Cambridge models are solid state amps that actually do the AC30 clean sound quite well. Think of them as the older and bigger brothers of the pathfinder.

Oh yea VC30, i have the 2 x 10 combo. Anyway its a good amp for the price if its going for 50% at the sale. Not a Vox but good on its own, takes pedals well too.

serious stupid vox has shifted productino to china to make the new batch of AC30

no way near a real vintage legendary AC30 MIUK

ive tried the one at luthermusic and i would say its pretty good not that bad but if you are looking for that REAL AC30 tone gotta spend the cash on the made in UK

but if i were you and have 3k at hand will straight away get the AC30 at guitar connection

for AD30 yes i agree its stupid that cant even bypass the modeling

however i own one and well serve me well as a practice amp... but will really look forward to change to a new amp in future

LOL that bad ya. Interesting dont have 3k on my though.. Would really love to get it haha.Any other tube amps to suggest?Going tomorrow to that area to try.

yo dude, i will recommend fender... :)

if you have a budget to get an ac30cc1, then i think you should be alright with lots of options out there. :)

maybe you can consider a fender blues junior. great tone. tube. can get less than $1000.

or look out for 2nd hand pieces lor...

wat muzik you play? if heavy stuff can conside marshall?

Yeah actually im just looking for that clean tone but the amps distortion should be able to do some heavy rock, rock n roll stuff, for that versatility.
Any marshalls to recommend?

marshall nowadays also screw up with the new batch

no way can get back the soudn from those earlier batch

what is the world of amp going to!!!!!

but anyway whats your budget ar?

seriously a fender done it welll

www.orangeguitar.com

check those fender

The Fenders have a different tonestack resulting in a different chime from the AC30. Both have terrific cleans, but different. In fact many of the vintage Fenders are quite different from each other. Marshalls also a totally different tonestack. And the Roland Jazz clean is another league of it's own too. The way their EQ knobs on each amp work are very different from each other.

If you want a great amp distortion without cranking it up, I don't have anything to reccomend. The classic great distortion crunch comes from poweramp saturation. All the newer amps perform distortion by piling up the gain on the preamp. The basic guide is that if the amp has a master volume, you probably can't get a good classic distortion from it. Most of the time I'd rather get distortion from a good distortion or overdrive pedal than from the amp. (Unless you're allowed to crank the bugger way up :D )

$1k+ can try some of the Fenders during Swee Lee sale. I believe the 2x10 hot rod deville is $2k before sales. If don't want so high wattage then you have much more options. What kinda power you looking for?

Back