ABRSM Grade 5 Theory Tuition and Contemporary Harmony for musicians of any instrument

lilbrisket

Hi All,

Im offering Music theory tuition and Grade 5 ABRSM theory tuition for anyone who is interested.
Im a current Berklee undergrad, however I will be in Singapore till late May, when I will be returning to Berklee.

Im able to teach ABRSM grade 5 theory to anyone of all ages, or to those who wish to take their exam.

Im also teaching Contemporary Harmony, which is essentially jazz harmony. This is a course Id recommend for guitarists, pianists or anybody who plays an instrument and specifically wants more practical theory, that is directly applicable to their instrument. This is a course Id highly recommend especially to classical pianists who wish to learn simple improvisation, but dont understand how to start. (if you cannot play without score, THIS IS FOR YOU!)
Please do note, although it is largely jazz harmony, understanding jazz harmony allows you to understand all contemporary forms of music. Jazz harmony is usable and applicable to all musicians, regardless of genre.

This is also for Pianists who can read score, but are unsure how to read and follow chord charts.

The Contemporary Harmony course will cover the following.

-Time Signatures
-Key Signatures
-Intervals
-The Major Scale(What I like to call the "mother" scale, all your basic chords and scales/modes are derived from this)
-Diatonic Chords(Each key only has 7 diatonic chords)
-Chordal Analysis
-Combining your Major Scale with diatonic chords to create simple improvisations

-Modes
-Chord Scales(chord-scale relationship)
-Diatonic 7th chords
-Altered Diatonic Chords and altered diatonic 7th chords(eg Add9, Sus 4, Dom7sus4) and their construction from scales.
-Non Diatonic Chords
-Chord Scale of non diatonic chords

Please note, I am a electric guitar major and play mostly pop, rock, funk and a little bit of jazz. I am not a pianist. I am competent enough on the piano to show you simple examples, and how you can get started with Improv. Improv is nothing more than changing your mindset and approach to your instrument, which is what Im here to do. So please dont expect me to show you some crazy bebop lines on the piano. My aim for you is to give you a working knoweldge of contemporary harmony so as to begin improvisation. What I teach is musically universal, and is for all musicians looking to gain a working knoweldge of contemporary harmony.

Course fee's are as follows:

ABRSM Grade 5 Theory syllabus/course- 30 SGD- 1 hour session
Contemporary Harmony Course- 40 SGD- 1 hour session

Classes to be held at your place. I stay around town. I MAY consider those living in far east/west or north, but may expect a top up of 10SGD to the classes to compensate for travelling time.

Please email me at lilbrisket@hotmail.com for further enquiries. Do let me know more about your musical background, and what you plan to achieve musically. I can be SMS'ed ONLY at 90371796.

Look forward to hearing from you

Back