About MIDI. (interface and stuff)

juube

Hey people. I'm considering getting a midi interface. But i was just wondering if i could use a usb cable to the computer or line in a keyboard to achieve the same results as using a midi interface.
Btw, those who have used midi, some advise on how to use it well would be great :)

juube, maybe you could let us know about your setup? Like what keyboards and midi gears you are intending to connect. Also what is your expansion plan like in the next 1 year?

Oh.. I'm using logic express. Running on a mac. The keyboard i'm using is Alesis QS8.2.. I'm doing a poly course now so have to learn. Ii'm thinking of getting a midi interface so i can do midi stuff whenever i want to.
I'm really new to all these so i could use a whole load of advise;)

Juube, The QS8 does not have a USB port. So the only way to connect to your PC for midi is using a midi interface. You have 2 choices.

1. USB midi interface (eg M-audio) - 1x1 would suffice. Connection will depend on what you want to do - whether you want to trigger softsynths/VSTis in your notebook, or for sequencing and eventually playback using your QS8 sound. If it's for triggering VSTis, connection will be:

QS8 midi out -> midi interface midi in -> notebook USB

If you want to sequence and playback with your QS8, you'll need the above connection PLUS:

Midi interface midi out -> QS8 midi in.

2. Audio interface with built-in midi - IF you are going to get an audio interface anyway. If you're using a notebook, firewire is the way to go. If desktop, then the choices would be firewire or PCI/PCIe. There are USB audio interfaces, but they are slower than firewire.

Oh.. Thanks Cheez. I would probably then get a USB MIDI interface. I'm thinking of getting an audio interface but that would be in the future. Is there such a thing as a firewire MIDI interface?? Where can i get a good MIDI interface?

No firewire interface. USB is already very fast for midi. Midi info comes in relatively small packages.

M-audio USB midi interfaces are quite good. Get them from Sinamex.

What audio interface has MIDI built in??.. I decided to get an audio interface. But i won't rush into it. Later i get something then regret. Do you have any recommendations for Audio interface with MIDI?.. My lecturer recommended me going down to resolution to get the audio interface.

juube, ya, you might as well get an audio interface that has midi port cos you will still need to record external sources such as microphones and guitars.

For notebook, there are many firewire solutions. Echo audiofire is one of the lower cost ones, and they come in various numbers of inputs and outputs.

If cost is not a concern, RME PCMCIAs (Digiface and Multiface) are very good.

Back