A truly decent jamming place

gkinsingapore

Is there such a thing as a really good jamming place in Sg? I get recommended lots of places but am constantly disappointed. Dont get me wrong, it's nice to rehearse using decent gtr amps, which a lot of places seem to have but the vocal PA's are truly awful and the drum gear is usually in a state of disrepair.

Rehearsal rooms are always loud so why dont any of these places have vocal foldback monitors rather than tinny PA speakers in the corner. My voice is killing me trying to be heard by speakers which are usually on the other side of the drumkit.

Was in a place last night where the big room had 2 mics and 1 boomstand for a band where everyone sings. Lucikly a couple of us had mics in our bag but the place could give us neither mics stands nor, unbeleivably, mic cables! Was told the place only had 5 mic cables and the band in the room next door already were using 3! A business that has 2 rooms running at the same time and they dont have any more than 5 cables!!

I just want a place where the gear is well maintained, the PA is set up well enough for vocals to be heard over drums and where I can run 4 vocal mics at the same time, god forbid that 2 of them could even be on boomstands!
I would have no issues paying top dollar for it.

Any ideas?

i'm guessing the former... cuz whenever i go to fourtones, the stuff is always wel maintained, and there4's always adequate resources...

Try studiophile's silent studio,everything is properly levelled so you can hear everything clearly.

hay88 said:
i reccomend 4tones, if u can't play well there, the problem lies with yoru band:)

+1

I recommend fourtones too. Owner is one of the nicest and friendly guys ive met.

Hmm.

Being a vocalist/guitarist myself I find the lack of boom stands for mics in jamming studios incredibly annoying. For one I have to change my normal singing/playing posture, then I have no space to move around if I want to place my pedals right at the feet of the mic stand. :evil:

I think tiet shud have boom stands.. although I do believe it's due to cost cutting which is why most studios have a lack of boom stands.

Well it doesnt matter how nice the owner is, if the studio is under resourced for a band with any more than 2 singers then we cant really rehearse there can we? We have 4 singers and harmony is an integral part of our sound. Thats our vibe, nothing to do with how well we play our instruments!

So far the best room we have found is the big room @ Boon. Will try Tiet and Beat Merchants.

I'm not brave enough to try silent jamming..... I like the tone and feel of real guitar speakers pushing air into my back!

Hmm.

Very true.. hehe might i reinforce the fact that I also buay song with the lack of boom stands? Maybe just bring my own next time 8O

gkinsingapore said:
Well it doesnt matter how nice the owner is, if the studio is under resourced for a band with any more than 2 singers then we cant really rehearse there can we? We have 4 singers and harmony is an integral part of our sound. Thats our vibe, nothing to do with how well we play our instruments!

Well if you have special needs that the average band doesn't have, you should prepare for them don't you think? Bands with 3 guitars or more will often face the same problems, yet you don't really see them complaining about this because it's the sacrifice they have to make for their different sound.

I don't mean to be negative in any way, but if I had a band with 4 singers, I would enquire with the studio before booking it. Peace. =)

Dear gkinsingapore.

To be fair to the jamming studios in Singapore, I have to say this:

Most jamming studios here provide two or three mics only. Usually two mics for studios $14 and below, and three mics for studios above $14. Its standard. If you need more than three mics, simply inform at the point of booking what you need so that the extras can be prepared for you. If that studio cant accommodate to your request, you can always book another studio. Easy as 1-2-3. Most studios here rent out their equipment, so you'll never know when their extra equipment are offside so there's no harm in checking the availibility of the extra equipment in advance. Less distress for you and no unnecessary mudslinging towards the studios.

Cheers.

gkinsingapore said:
We have 4 singers and harmony is an integral part of our sound. Thats our vibe, nothing to do with how well we play our instruments!

1 way to know if any studio can cater to your band, is to reserve the number of mics n stands needed upon booking. no money loss if they can't provide it. just move on the next studio number 8)

gkinsingapore said:
Was in a place last night where the big room had 2 mics and 1 boomstand for a band where everyone sings. Lucikly a couple of us had mics in our bag but the place could give us neither mics stands nor, unbeleivably, mic cables! Was told the place only had 5 mic cables and the band in the room next door already were using 3! A business that has 2 rooms running at the same time and they dont have any more than 5 cables!!

personally, i'd have just SHARED the mics. one mic each, in that small room you were playing in, up the chances of loop feedback, anyways.

really don't get your issue here. feel that you don't have a case.

Back