$30 fine for eating sweet

Gosh, I have no problems with the law cracking down on those who eat things like curry puffs, kueh, but something like sweets is deemed by the law as an offence?

What will they think of next? And I'm surprised to hear that drinking water is an offence? What if I happen to feel sick and need my panadol?

heh, blame it on those people who eat much heavier stuff in train all along over the years, caught on stomp and resulted in what we have now.

Because of those people, now all of us suffer! We, are paying the price for those people who choose to eat, drink as they like!

Oh yeah, one more things which lotsa people dont know, the amount fined, doesnt goes to mrt, but land transport authority.

ridiculous la.i bet the smrt people also does that during their off days.
no wonder people are migrating out of singapore.
no offence i like singapore,just not the laws.

Another knee jerk reaction by the government. As usual, to "set an example" for the public.....even though the so-called "offence" (like eating sweets) makes no sense. Rules and regulations supersede simple logic and common sense.

Yep, when the S'pore government is in a kiasee or knee jerking mood, all sanity is lost!

My friend was feeling sick and was fined 30 dollars for drinking plain water on the way home. PLAIN WATER. i dont think they should be so strict until we cant drink plain water.

I would have expected that it is in the discretion of the mrt guy NOT to charge her because she is not spoiling the train with her sweet. Maybe it was the camera so he didn't have a choice but in the real life you must be quite a prick to do so. I am anyway wondering in the movie it seems the poor woman has been spotted and singled out by the reporter first?

At first always like that.
After people complain to newspaper than they will "tell their staff to be more lenient" yada yada crap.

Sometimes, people who carry out the rules need to have a brain of their own.

it's the only way to go. blame it on the many sgreans who take our laws lightly.

i personally support (not the plain water or sweet) this new initiative. i've seen students, children with irresponsible parents and even adults whip out burgers, ice cream and bentos and eating them openly in the trains. i approached them a few times to remind and got the middlefinger look and remarks. our generation needs to be taught. esp our kids.

sg is a fine country, they've been saying since the 80s...

and perhaps only fines can keep us in check.

Last edited:
Unbelievable....can't help laughing......fine for eating a sweet cause feeling giddy...

we are beginning to live like ROBOTS....no more compassion....Oh No...

honest to god, i think the SMRT officers themselves are thinking wth. If the camera crew weren't there they wouldn't even be bothered to come down and interview the woman and take her IC.

i mean, to be filmed down in uniform and be seen NOT following SMRT guidelines, what you want him to be fired?

I guess no consumption of food & drink means no consumption at all .....

How to say no to burgers & other solid food and yes to sweet, panadol & plain water? Once SMRT start categorizing what can eat / drink what cannot - becomes totally chaotic lah ....

anyway ppl dun eat or drink for the duration of the journey ... I'm sure can tahan - if they were disciplined enough in the first place to observe the laws

my 2 cents

reminds of the time I kena fined $20 in reservist for reporting 3 mins late - the old uncle of a taxi driver I was in was driving tortoise slow & "lost" his way ... army officer said to me "no excuses" so I lan lan pay the fine ...

Last edited:
Yeah I totally agree with you on this! Singaporeans love to conform... People can't even take public transport with ease of mind... No one will dare to drink water if they're feeling thirsty. Scully people start fainting coz' they can't take medication!!!

honest to god, i think the SMRT officers themselves are thinking wth. If the camera crew weren't there they wouldn't even be bothered to come down and interview the woman and take her IC.

i mean, to be filmed down in uniform and be seen NOT following SMRT guidelines, what you want him to be fired?

Back