Toneking Meteor 20 demo model is in

JMguitars

meteor2_front_650.jpg

Good news tone-junkies,

We've got our hands on Singapore's first 6v6 loaded Toneking Meteor 20 and are now availing it for demo.

This baby is Mark Bartel's latest design Meteor upgrade which incorporates the latest mod done to improve the already great clean tone by making the reverb sound even more natural. A mod I also requested was the removal of the bright cap (to suit my playing style).

For those looking for information on this great amp, Mark Bartel had written this short product description just before launching his latest design a few months back.

"This new design is an extension of the Comet design, and is a big improvement. It sounds a lot more broken in than a Comet. It has the dynamic response of a 40 year old amp, which is something I could never quite get with the Comet. The reverb has been tweaked to sound exactly like a blackface deluxe, and the overdrive and distortion are a lot smoother. I added tremolo and removed the effects loop. I added a built-in bias meter and individual external bias adjustments for each 6V6. The cabinet was slightly restyled for an older kind of look. In keeping with the "older amp" vibe, I'm using the old style metal toggle switches and chicken head knobs, with a polished mirror-finish faceplate. One more thing - I'll also be offering the option of ordering it with EL84s. I haven't computed the pricing of this amp, but it will be a bit more expensive than the Comet because of the extra parts and assembly time (it will have chassis-mounted, handwired tube sockets). This new amp will be called the Meteor. It will be offered initially as a 1x12 combo, and other cabinet options will be added soon after it becomes available." www.toneking.com

Mark
J&M Guitars
www.jmguitars.com

Detailed description of the changes made to the Comet design are described as follows.

-------------
The new Tone King Meteor is Mark Bartel's realization of the ultimate low-power combo amp with a chockfull of truly useful features and gorgeous tones galore. The Meteor 20A features a pair of 6V6 tubes and a 5R4 rectifier tube for the ultimate in the classic Blackface sounds, two channels (overdrive and clean), lush reverb, tremolo (footswitchable), a custom-designed Tone King 12" speaker, bias meter, bias adjustment, and solid construction throughout. According to Mark Bartel, the new design is an extension of the older Comet design, and is a big improvement. It sounds more broken in than a Comet, but retains the clarity and shimmer of the top end. It has an improved dynamic response that sounds less compressed, with more depth and the laid-back feel of a 40 year old amp. The reverb has been tweaked to sound exactly like a vintage blackface deluxe, and the overdrive and distortion are smoother (the onset of distortion is more gradual as well).
Tone King added a tremolo circuit, which is the same design they used on the very early Imperial model. They added a midrange control to the rhythm channel. They added a built-in bias meter (on the back panel) and individual external bias adjustments for each output tube. Tone King added elaborate new tube retainers that grip the tubes more firmly, yet make it easier to replace tubes. Tone King beefed up the construction with chassis mounted tube sockets, pots, and switches. The pots are now mil grade sealed units, and the rest of the components are the best that Tone King could find. The amp was slightly restyled for an older, more substantial look. The faceplate is chrome plated steel, the switches are all large metal handled toggles, and the knobs are the old style chickenheads. The front of the amp has no separate trim piece - it's sort of a "TV front".

Get beautiful classic vintage sounds and feel with modern features and appointments that make your gigging life a lot easier. The Tone King Meteor is provides stellar tones and thoughtful features that you've always wished were present in the great vintage amps.

this amp, just by the look and description, seem ooozing with plenty of tone and a vintage vibe. Guess for amp like this, it just the guitar, instrument cables and nothing else :D

44ofjuly said:
this amp, just by the look and description, seem ooozing with plenty of tone and a vintage vibe. Guess for amp like this, it just the guitar, instrument cables and nothing else :D

Yeah, though I've bought myself a Tonebone JX2 A/B/Y pedal so play the ToneKing and the Flexi 50 together.

Will write a review on the Tonebone JX2 shortly as its been really useful as with its in-built gain/mid boost, it has even resulted in the Time Machine Boost getting the kick off the pedalboard. :)

You're invited to drop over and check the pedal out.

Regards.

hi JM

thanks for the invitation. Hopefully i can recieve the wmum od pedal in 1-2wks time and then i bring the pedal down to let you chk it out also. Think it be fun. I'll pm or buzz ya when its ready and arrange a day where it be ok for me to drop by :D

Back