Taylor guitars

Personally, I think that the Big Baby and 110 are overpriced and you are just paying for the big name tag. You are much better off with other brands. The 2XX series and 3XX series are only decent guitars only. It's only at 4XX series and above does Taylor quality truly shine. But then that would be around 2.8K area and above.

Try the smaller makers, they offer better value for money as well as better performance. :D

hmm have you any models to recommend?

was thinking of either the big baby, 110 or the 214...

read a number of reviews on the big baby and it seems quite good..

Big Baby is ard $680 without pickup. Taylor 100 series is above 1k.

I'd recommend seagull guitars. S6 series is around $700 (with pickup), with compound curve, tappered headstock, bookmatched hardwood for back and sides, etc.. The review of seagull guitars is quite good. They got voted as the Acoustic guitar line of the year by some magazine. And is highly regarded as high performance/price guitar. Depends on what you actually wanted. Maybe you can describe more.

You can find out more from at www.seagullguitars.com

yaya.. the sounds get better if the guitar is build with solid wood. If laminate top, back and side.. then the sound wont get better.

I tried Taylor's big baby and 100 series. Big Baby is not really a full size guitar, top is solid spruce, back and sides are laminates. Due to its size, it appeared to me to be lack of depth. 100 series back and sides also laminates, with solid top. This is a full size guitar. But i think the price $1k+ is not worth it lar. However, the playability of Taylor is unbeatable!

Seagull's neck is wider, mostly 1.8", Taylor's big baby is 1.6875", 300 series is 1.75". I just checked.. hehe

Again, depends on what you want, a guitar for practice? performance? fun? fingerstyle? aggressive strumming? and guitar size (dreadnaught, concert, auditorium, jumbo, others)?

yes, there are other good manufacturer..

Martin, Larrivee, Gibson, Alvarez, Lowden, Avalon, Seagull, Simon and Patrick, Guild, etc.. they build good guitars. Sometime we can get a poor quality guitar from a reputable manufacturer. This is abt consistency issue of a real good manufacturer. There are some big gaps of price range also..

Many things to read from www.harmony-central.com :lol:

i've used the big baby, and though it sounds clear and stuff, i'd even dare say that the top of the range Yamaha acoustic series sounds warmer. you can drop by at PS, get into the unplugged room, try the stuff there.

some of the yamaha handcrafted are top notch quality.

well...with a budget like that, you can also try martin guitars.... they aren't that bad either... but be prepared to shell out a few more.

if brand doesn't matter so much to you, try the maton series at Gutar 77. there's a nice 'exotic wood' piece. try asking it from the guy there, uncle dennis. he's a nice man, and will be more than willing to help. yupz.

heard some stuff about the wood that as time goes by the tone gets better.

That isn't exactly true for Taylors. They seem to retain that same sound even after many years, unlike Martin, which truly ages and have that sweeter aged tone. But they do have one of the best neck feels.

mulyadi said:
i've used the big baby, and though it sounds clear and stuff, i'd even dare say that the top of the range Yamaha acoustic series sounds warmer. you can drop by at PS, get into the unplugged room, try the stuff there.

some of the yamaha handcrafted are top notch quality.

well...with a budget like that, you can also try martin guitars.... they aren't that bad either... but be prepared to shell out a few more.

if brand doesn't matter so much to you, try the maton series at Gutar 77. there's a nice 'exotic wood' piece. try asking it from the guy there, uncle dennis. he's a nice man, and will be more than willing to help. yupz.

Maton. I have tried the Messiah series which is the top end, with solid east indian rosewood back and side. It's really one of the best production guitars around. Sweet and balanced sound. Limited by the stock Elixirs Nanos. Any non-coated strings will make the sound come alive.

Taylor, if you have to go that road, go directly to the 4XX series onwards.

There are alot of sub 1K solutions. Maestro Guitars, Seagull, Garrison etc..

try the Line 6 Variax Acoustic Guitar

try the variax acoustic and u'll be damn supprised!! It's better than the real acoustic.. go check them out.

was thinking of getting the taylor 214.. it's solid back and sides... not laminated...

can you guys recommend some good music shops that you frequent?

I'm thinking of getting an Epiphone Elitist J200. Do you know if its available in Singapore and a price quotation ?

thanks.

for talyors there is only luthermusic and sinemax...
For gibsons there is only ALLmusic and sweelee (which are the same boss)

There isn't much choice of retailers around singapore as well..
Its just wat guitar u wanna get only. However I do feel the gibsons,talyors are slightly over-priced guitars in general. Half of what you are paying goes to the brand name.

You can get garrison or blueridge if you wanna full-solid. Much better sounds much better quality stuff and more affortable price... just my 2 cents worth of views... but if you are a talyor fan or gibson fan then just go for it. :wink:

Latest posts

Back