SX GG1K

subversion

SX_GG1K.jpg

SX GG1K
List: $235

The SX GG1K is a Chinese guitar starter pack which includes the above depicted items. For those of us who are more brand name wary, the SX tag would only conjure images of a horrific guitar experience & would rather opt for a more dependable offering in the guise of Ibanez/ Yamaha/ Squier. What would make you invest in this SX package especially when it costs much lesser than the latter brand name offerings?

Construction/ fit/ finish
Despite its entry-level status & a virtually estranged brand name, the GG1 is a well-constructed guitar. In fact, it’s as good as any Ibanez/ Yamaha/ Squier starter unit out there. I would have expected a bland offering in terms of physiques but the GG1 was difficult to fault, even the neck/ body bolt-on was well done, no gaping slots visible there. My only concern here was the 3-way pickup selector switch which was a little loose but still very functional.

Playability/ tone
Unplugged, the GG1 sounded neutral; no particular brightness or inclinations toward the low frequency but that’s expected from a basswood unit, more so when it’s finished from one tip to the other. The frets feel very comfortable despite not being jumbo. The action is a little high by default, my 2.0 Dunlop Stubby pick slipped through easily from the bass side but it’s nothing you can’t tinker with to suit your needs.

Amplified, the drive tones from both the default humbuckers were distinct. The neck unit has a sweet Duncan ’59 vibe to it which is likeable, however, harmonics were difficult to conjure here, unlike the bridge counterpart which screams with every pinch executed. Also, the bridge pickup has a healthy dose of low-end for days when you play metal. Clean, the neck unit displayed nice comping tones for you jazz cats out there. The bridge humbucker sounded rather lacklustre driveless, I only appreciated its distorted tones.

A little on the neck; an impressive feel, very similar to Epiphone’s D-profile but a little thicker. The model I auditioned has a slight relief to it but it’s nothing severe or indicative of a dysfunctional unit, if you’re adventurous enough, a little truss rod twist would make it straight, if that’s the profile you desire. Do not expect immaculate upper fret access with this design, especially when the GG1 features a blocky heel, but with a little effort, you’d reach the 22nd fret quite easily.

Last say
A serious proposition- If you are looking for a starter pack which wouldn’t cost you an arm/ leg while offering serious playability & tone, I’d say you should check the SX GG1K out & evaluate your needs. The sub-$250 price tag is a no-brainer value for money, especially when there’s an amp & other desirable accessories thrown in. Personally, I wouldn’t mind paying for the guitar only at this price since the GG1 has proven its worth, beyond my expectations actually. Bear in mind that other brand name starter packs, especially the ones mentioned in the initial part of this review, retail for more than $350 on average. It’s now beyond me to convince you that the GG1 would make a splendid starter if you are a sensible buyer who prioritizes good tone & playability over established brand names. Swallow some pride, plug it in & check it out...

Rating: 83%
------------------------------------------------

PS: Note that the GG1 has a 3-way switching instead of the 5-way indicated in the pic.
PPS: Thank you brothers stars & cloudsky for coming along to check the SX GG1K out, I think we’re convinced that the guitar is a good player per se

wait, wide mea? the last time i went only got one sx pack the strat one. single coil so i dowan. btw is davis the one with like the 1st guitar shop after you go down the escalator from a right turn from funan?

Hmmm.....i forgot wether it's the 1st one or the 2nd one.....but...I believe it's the one with the biggest showroom.....and i believe they have the name on the entrance.....just go there and ask

Davis is located @ 3 Coleman Street, Peninsula Shopping Complex, #B1- 40/41.

if you are lost, do call them: 63375092

sx starter vs ibanez gio starter

erm just to ask .. which guitar package is better? the sx or ibanez? for the ibanez.. the guitar is grg270.. thanks

how did you get the 83% rating?

is it slightly better then those rated 82% and not as good as those rated 84% :D:D:D

this review was from the old database, if you read the later ones, each category is rated to generate a cumulative rating (not ncessarily the average derivative).

the basis of my ratings are such:
*<70: decent, could have been better, let down by certain issues which hurt the value-for-money consideration

*70-79: above average, some particular appeal but won't impress the general

*80-89: very good acquisition, issues (if there are any) are personal (eg: certain finish quirks for instance, which would appeal to some)

*90/+: superb consideration

of course, evrybody knows if you score 83 for your Math exam, you are better than the 82 chap but not as good as the 84 fella... however marginal the difference, it's a mark of your performance :cool:

maaan i had considered buying this guitar. my fren say 'go buy la! cheap can what'
then i go buy TGM les paul. grrrrr

it doesn't matter, bro :cool: in this price bracket, quality control is inconsistant; there may be others which are equally capable. however, this SX is a value-for-money package.

Latest posts

Back