Strap lock

marshall_law

Hi
I bought a jim dunlop strap lock, i though it was just clip and lock on. But to my horror, it needs to be screw on. I'm not very good at drilling and stuff. Is there a service that can help me put on the strap lock or is there anyone here willing to do it for me?

You should be able to put the straplock into the hole where the original strap pin was. If you need some screws to match then you can drop me a line and I can give you a couple as I have a lot of spare screws and some that may fit.

cheers,

mark.

There’s a simple user remedy for this- fill the cavity with match stick & then screw the strap lock base in. If you ask your dealer to fit this contraption on your behalf, chances are, he’ll do likewise. That’s the problem with strap locks- their base radius isn’t of a universal size.

Alternatively, do away with your strap lock & purchase D’Addario’s Planet Lock which is a clever locking strap, that doesn’t require a carpenter’s tinkering, to use. If memory serves, it’s $14 @ Swee Lee.

This thread would inevitably trigger concerns about both the Strap Lock & the Planet Lock straps giving way over prolonged use- I know because I started the Planet Lock recommendation thread…

I was finding out more about straplocks and i found schaller's. Anyone heard about them. Many positive comments about them. Anyone know any shops here sell them?

It’s individual preference at the end of the day.

Those who chose the Planet Lock, invests in a single strap for all his/ her guitars/ basses, as oppossed to one Strap Lock per guitar. We understand if you have only one guitar & choose to invest in something personal.

marshall_law said:
Hi
I bought a jim dunlop strap lock, i though it was just clip and lock on. But to my horror, it needs to be screw on. I'm not very good at drilling and stuff. Is there a service that can help me put on the strap lock or is there anyone here willing to do it for me?

I bought Jim Dunlop Straplocks on Friday and fitted them easily to my LP custom. No need for any drilling. Just unscrew the existing strap button on the guitar and replace it with the strap lock version. But before you screw in the straplock version, put some broken toothpicks in the hole first to enhance the screw grip. The toothpicks act as a sort of screw sleeve.

Bear in mind that once you fit the strap locks to your guitar sling, it stays there. Removing the strap lock from your sling can be quite a hassle as the clip ring that holds it tight is not easy to remove. Guess you have buy another sling for your other guitars that don't come with strap locks.

8)

i've tried screwing the original strap lock screw in but the hole is too small and less deep. would forcing the screw in cause any damage to my guitar?

marshall_law said:
i've tried screwing the original strap lock screw in but the hole is too small and less deep. would forcing the screw in cause any damage to my guitar?

The strap lock screws are slightly larger but not by much. In fact, they are slightly shorter than the original strap screws. That's why I had to put toothpicks in to fill up the space in the hole.

IMO, I don't think forcing the screw in would do any damage to the guitar as it's a solid body. But you have to use your own judgement. If it's really hard to screw in and would not budge even if you use quite a bit of force in screwing, then I suggest that you don't install the strap locks.

BTW, is yours a Epiphone les paul custom or standard?

8)

Mine is a gibson les paul standard. I've try all the screws but it is either too big or too long. I guess i'll buy schaller 1st and see whether it can be install... if not duct tape is the last resort :p

I don’t understand… you’d rather duct tape than invest in a Planet Lock strap? I’m not urging you to buy one, but you cite cool looks as a factor when buying a product, so duct tape = cool?

marshall_law said:
Mine is a gibson les paul standard. I've try all the screws but it is either too big or too long. I guess i'll buy schaller 1st and see whether it can be install... if not duct tape is the last resort :p

If the screws are the only problem, try visiting some DIY shops where there is a large selection of screws. Bring the Gibson original screw for comparison of accurate length. You can try the DIY shop at Seiyu Bugis or there's another one at Great World City. Duct tape??!! 8O I don't think that's the way to go man!

8)

Back