Squier bullet special

Cloudsky

My friend's squier bullet special has two screw like objects with strings going through it on the headstock. Are those locking nuts? Does it mean he has to unlock it before he tunes his guitar?

nope, it's a string retainer/ string tree... you need not detach it when re-stringing. it's often found on headstocks which aren't angled back.

the nut refers to the top side of the neck, between the headstock & the fretboard.

not over but under. depends on which guitar you have, some have one string tree (eg: Fender American Series), others have 2...

subversion said:
not over but under. depends on which guitar you have, some have one string tree (eg: Fender American Series), others have 2...

sorry paiseh.. write wrong.. under :x

subversion said:
no apologies necessary, mistakes happen... :wink:

:p

btw... if im not wrong guitars with 6 pegs on one side all have that 2 thingy? onli those that with 3 pegs each side dont have rite? ..i dono what the 6pegs on one side one called or what hhaa..

i mean guitars like lespaul with 3 pegs each side.. and 6's like strats'.. haha i dono what i crap i tokin :x

it's all about the headstock tilt- many tilted headstock designs don't have the string trees, take gibson for instance- Les Paul/ SG/ Explorer- they are all devoid of the string trees. the explorer has a 6-a side tuner arangement but still has no string trees.

straight headstock design often incorporate string trees because it's necessary to push down the strings to give added pressure to the nut, otherwise it'll affect tuning stability. fenders have 'em, Andy Timmon's Ibanez guitars have 'em too... all non-tilted headstocks...

FYI- recently, Fender's Am Series strats (WEF 1991) only sport one string tree instead of 2. the new staggered machine heads of the strat made sure that the ones further away from the nut have a steeper break angle to eliminate the need for a string tree. thusfar, it works for the G + D strings, the E + B strings still need a string tree fr added pressure. the next time you visit the guitar store, check out the machine heads of these strats, you'll notice 2 units to be taller than the remaining 4...

Latest posts

Back