Soundcheck In Jamming Sessions

Kaye

Hello. Question question!

How to do a soundcheck during a jamming session? In order to balance out every instrument. :)

Feedbacks! Thanks in advance!

Step-by-step

1. Singer sings at a comfortable level with amplification (microphone).
2. Drummer play at a level so that he can hear the singer.
3. Bassist play at a level where he can hear singer and drummer.
4. Guitarist play at the level where he can hear singer, drummer and bassist.
5. Keyboardist play at a level where he can hear everything.

Dont have to play loud. If you need to hear more of yourself, just move yourself closer to your amp.

Balance is the key.

Wow... Cool... Now I know how to do a soundcheck and not get 'rojak' during sessions whereby one is louder than e rest. =)

Important to know your instrument and equipment provided in the jamming studio. You may need to ask the studio owner to help you familiarise with the house equipments.

1) Singer know how to hold and use the mic, better volume can be achieve before feedback by this.
2) PA system should be working satisfactory (there is good chance a jam studio speaker horn is blown, due to overload by abuse or screamo's)
3) Instrument amps should be tuned properly and strictly used for it's purpose (eg. do not plug a bass to guitar amp)
4) If you are practising to mp3 backing, ask the studio operator first to help patch you in properly to the PA. (most will help when asked, courtesy to inform if you need to patch in any other things too)
5) All above adhere to, lastly follow the golden rule: QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.
(meaning, as long as comfortable listening level achieved, should be enough. If any member in band want to be a prima donna and wack loud loud, kick him out)

Remember, studio operators are human too. As long if you respect and ask nicely, you will most probably recieve it if its reasonable. Alway remember, treat equipments properly, for benefit of all.

If studio operators are cold and unreasonable, just go find another studio. There are many studios these days to choose from.

I am a jamming studio owner myself.

Hi James,

is that the sequence in which the sound shld be adjusted?

Often times when I play with my friends, the guitar will go missing along the way.....sometimes the drums as well. And I wld be left feeling a teeny bit lonely with my keyboard. Hahaha....

pf, you mean your keyboard is too loud?

Anyway, I am just using the idea that acoustic instrument should set the level first because it is tiring for them to be louder. For example, the singer, singing louder than 1 should will hurt their own vocal cord. On the other hand, instrument like keyboard can change their level very easily by adjusting the volume.

Also depends on how you guys play. If everyone plays the same chord, same note, same octave, same beat ... then very hard to differentiate one from another.

* this is when, "Playing less is more".

Ummm...it started off fine. Everybody can be heard. But further down the road, someone goes missing.

So...even though the guitar is just whacking it out all the way...we actually merely hear the scratchy sound of the strings.

But I think the point on adjusting to the vocals make sense. Thanks!

depends where you're standing/sitting. naturally if you sit near your keyboard amp you can only hear your own. if you soften it to hear the others, others standing away from your keyboard will say "eh i can't hear your keys".

lanlan

Ron, Thanks man.

PF, sounds like too much from everyone from what I can see. Maybe your band should sit down and appoint a ear man.

Start with the minimum volume from everyone. And work out whose part need to be louder when needed. Arrangement of the song parts is very important. Imagine if everyone plays lead at anyone time. You only end up with noise. Remember, there is a time and place for everything.

Also take note of your drummer. Cause if he wack hard, the rest will follow suit. Cause they cant hear themselves. Moderate the drummer first, than vocals are the next most important factor. Vocals must be at a audible level, if not get drummer to tone down. The rest must follow the drummer level.

Only allow lead volume when lead part comes for each associated instrument.

Remember it's too easy to blame the studio and it's equipment before yourself. Studio are of similar size, bedroom size. So it can accomodate roughly as much volume as a performing stage. So concentrate on getting a good sound in studio will help you when you goes on stage.

I remember one time during one of my jamming sessions where all the instrumentalists just put their volume to one to get the whole thing clean first. then slowly worked it up to 3. doesn't really have to be loud at all, just let the sound man thats if you have one equalise for u. I suppose a perfomance thats a bit too soft is better than one bashing away at your ear drums eh.

Oh. and remember to buy High fidelity hearos. haha. really helps the singer to hear the whole band

Hey, thanks for all your suggestions guys!

We don't play in a studio though. We play in a small hall for church worship service.

Last edited:
pf: you should have provided us with as much info as you can for us to give you helpful suggestion. Especially when you are abit off topic (this tread discussing jam studio).

wow. Thanks for the replies!

I dont know where did I hear/see this from, bassist should balance out with the drummer's bass drum (the one where the pedal sits, not sure what is it call though)?

I realised that if i were to stand directly infront of the amp, I couldnt hear myself, will have to move 2 meters or so from the amp then I can hear myself clearly. Not sure if this is true.

One of the main problem is that my vocalist is still learning to project her voice, so I guess we will have to play softer than usual.

You listen to your fav band/music and learn how they balanced all their sound. Sometime, guitar louder, sometime keyboard louder, sometime bass louder, sometime drums louder...

They do not play at constant level throughout the whole song.

Sometime guitar A louder, sometime guitar B louder. It all depends on the music and who plays what. When it is time to solo, that guitar should not be softer than the other one.

yup makes sense,
Dream Theater keyboardist does that, he has a vol knob/s which adjusts the different instruments.

Back