Sound system for acoustic

space

I want to setup my own audio system setup but i'm kinda clueless on what should i get. e.g mixer, power amp, speaker, mic etc2. the system is more for a accoustic setup which mostly will be used for live outdoor performance. i don't have that much budget and was hoping to find something good yet affordable for now...help anyone?

How many instrument and singers you need to plug into the sound system? What is your overall budget?

Some items like microphones are kinda standard price. You can budget around $100 - $150 for a mic. For mixer, around $200 for a 8 channels to $1000 for a 16 channels.

The most important item is the speaker/amp . This is usually the most expensive item in your setup and the one that makes the MOST difference in sound quality.

I just checked out a HK system ( HK Audio - Portable Sound ), it is perfect for acoustic performance. It is also very easy to carry around. It cost from $3k+

i've got quite a no. of instrument, like bass, oud & mandolin, accordion, 2 handdrum, darbuka and some musical toys. with 2 singers. i try to keep below 5k if its possible, but from your point of view, will it be enough?

You need to list out the details. How many instrument need microphones, how many can plug directly to the mixer. How big is your audience size? About 200 to 300 people?

But you got to listen to the sound system first cos it is very difficult to imagine why some system cost so much more than the others.

i mean come to think of it i feel like theres not enough platform for acoustic bands. i do play for acoustic bands but its hard to get gigs. the plugged scene is already too much for comfort.

hmmm with jame's expert advice...
i bought a the mackie active speaker set... the SRM350 i think .. 10" speakers.
with a 8 channel mixer. and an alesis nanoverb for efx.
Shure SM58 cost about 140... stands and cables etc... is additional $$. total cost... around 3.5 - 3.8k

V. important!! - a LR baggs para DI for my acoustic guitar $200+ .

To have a GOOD acoustic sound... fooh thats alot more money. Good acoustic guitar is not enough. the pickup system is equally if not MORE important. After trying out passive and active element type pups... i still got feedback problems... and less then ideal sound.
Im using the M1 active and sunrise magnetic pickups.. which DO not feedback. sounds pretty good as well... soon will be blending that with K&K pure western mini for the ultimate acoustic tone with good feedback resistance. The LR baggs IMIX system will do that perfectly as well.

As a live setup... for house parties or alumni corporate events... what i have now has always worked beautifully. and it all fits in my little suzuki swift. (Entire PA system, EFX and two acoustic guitars)

--------------
oh and did i mention i rent the setup out? :)
---------------

Invest on a good sets of microphone, if have budget get a digital console, it will help alot if u use condenser mic, digital console hve feature like gates, expanders, PEQ, efxs all built-in, just apply these efx onto the ch & go. IMO, first line of amplification (microphones) are important, they will determine the sound character of yr acoustics instruments. Next is pre-amp (mixer or micpre) or digital console, then output (SRS or recorder).
Sound system can rent first, if yr gig is often, then consider to purchase it.
Good luck!

Any models to recommend for mics??

BeyerXXXX? PM me if u need mics.
Spot miking or stereo miking? Assume tis is an acosutic instrument miking senario...
It also depends on surrounding, kenna near road side, inherent 80dB ambience noise @shopping centre, u may have to use spot miking techq or use dymix mic.
If surrounding is quiet, like church for example, imo, i will deploy stereo miking techq.
AB, XY, point source, etc.... try & error til u get good image or sound spread. Get a good close-back headphone. It really depends, try & error, the more u do, the more variation u will have. I usually have a mix of dynamix & condenser mics, good micpre & a good headphone. IMO, less mic is better, to start off with.
Good Luck!

I've had good results micing violin and cellos using a lapel mike clipped to the bridge. Think it might do well for bass. For the hand drums and toys you have, some SM57s might be good for those. Condensor usually works well to reproduce a true acoustic sound. SM58 might colour it slightly.

For speakers, I would prefer active speakers on sticks for easier setup such as the Mackie SRM350/450s connected to a decent mixer with enought channels. Yamaha and Mackie have pretty decent mixers for not to expensive a price. Of cuz if your budget allows, a digital mixer such as the Yamaha O1V will do great considering you have a gate, compressor/limiter on all channels... :)

Last edited:
Back