Sound Isolation

JMguitars

If you're ever thinking of isolating your room so that you mantain good relations with ur wife, neighbour, etc, etc ..... you may wish to consider sound isolation.

The cons:

- the material and construction work is not cheap.
- you will have to sacrifice a fair amount of floor "real estate" in order to setup the "ideal" double wall solution.

Check out this link for the audio files of different isolation settings ....

http://www.auralexuniversity.com/NeighborsWMA.html

NeighborsHeader.jpg

EXPAT TO SINGAPORE - SOUNDPROOFING HOME STUDIO

Hi I am Sumit from Delhi India. I have a day job as an engineer. Shortly my company will move me to Singapore with my family and dog and my complete home studio stuff.

What are the legal restrictions of a home studio in Singapore. I am scared and would like to understand before deciding to move.

I need to understand what kind of housing would enable me to set up the studio without disturbing neighbours. I cannot afford very expensive houses but surely not HDB flats. Will a landlord allow to make modifications for soundproofing? And what is the minimum expense? I would love some help.

Sumit

SUMIT, you should rent a terrace house. it is usually 2 stories. 3 bedroom upstairs. you can then use 1 of the bedroom as your studio.

rental is about Sin$1000 - Sin$1600

what's in your studio?

:D
Hi! Overwhelming reply. Your one reply has given me so much confidence. Which part of Singapore would be around the rent you mentioned for a terraced house? We have a German Shepherd dog who would also need space. The company would provide furnishing.

Do you mean to say that neighbours will not be distracted if I take a terraced house with no soundproofing in the studio?

Now about the studio. It is simple but a little big.
Two computers on a LAN
Studiomaster Club 2000 Mixer with Koss Headphones
MIDI Interfaces: OTU Pocket Express, ROMI/O
Edirol PCR-30 MIDI Controller, Yamaha PCR275, Creative Blasterkeys
Korg X5DR
Montego II Home Studio
Creative AWE32PNP
WaMi Rack 192X
Echo Mia 24/96
Yamaha USB Audio Interface UW10
DSP2024P Virtualiser Pro
Yamaha KX-W321 tape deck
IMG STA150 Power Amp 400W RMS
Tannoy Reveal Speakers
DI Box Behringer DI20
Behringer Cable tester CT100
2 Hawaiian Steel Electric Guitars
Marshall Guitar Amp
Zoom 707II Guitar Effects
PROEL PBR48 Patchbay
Behringer PX2000 Patchbay
Whole lot of cables
A 19" rack
Sequencers: Reason 3 full package, n-Track Studio, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 with plug-ins, Digital Orchestrator Pro, Awave Studio 9.3, CoolEdit 2000 with plugins, SwarTrax (Indian classical music sequencer)
Loads of soundfonts and soundbanks purchased from Creative, East West, online sites

SUMIT, looking through your list, i am relieved that there is no drum set! ha..ha.. as long as you mix/record within your threshold of pain, the leak to your neighbours should be managable. close all doors and windows. air-con.

the rent i mentioned are for areas that are not within town area. in singapore, town area means the Central Business District and shopping area like Orchard Road. currently, rental in Singapore is at a all time low. sad.

if you pay a little more, you could even get a semi-detached that has a small garden for your dog to run around.

where will your work place be?

:D
I am used to staying outside town areas. I drive 52 km minimum in Delhi to go to work. So I would rather stay far away and get a semi-detached house with a garden. Does the rent include furnishing? Or is it that furnished house would be more expensive?

My company office is in Raffles Place but I shall be working on the Circle Line Metro project and still do not know the office location.

Sumit

the rent i quoted are without furnishing. your company's hr will help you with the relocation?

Yes the company will help. Which part out of town would be good, east, west, north or south? The dog's quarantine is in Jurong for 1 month. How long will MRT take to reach from West to Circle Line area?

Is Little India expensive?

hi SUMIT, i replied you through email since this is becoming non music related. :wink:

Back