Some Newbie Questions

halind

Hi, I'm a beginner with an Ibanez SA120 and a Roland Micro Cube amp. When I try to play closer towards the last few frets (roughly from Fret 16 onwards), the sound seems somewhat 'lighter' and less vibrant. Is there a particular reason for it, eg. due to default pickups ?

Also, I've been looking at YouTube videos on how to do harmonics, and while it seems to work on the top 3 strings, I'm having problems doing it on the bottom 3 'thinner' strings, and they feel a little tight. Does anyone have tips regarding this ?

Thanks!

Also, I've been looking at YouTube videos on how to do harmonics, and while it seems to work on the top 3 strings, I'm having problems doing it on the bottom 3 'thinner' strings, and they feel a little tight. Does anyone have tips regarding this ?

Thanks!

It is best to first understand what harmonics are.

Harmonics are ratios of a strings' length. The most prominent harmonic on the guitar is at the 12th fret, since this is exactly half the string length. The next most prominent harmonic is at the 7th fret (1/3 string length), then the 5th fret (1/4 string length - one octave higher than the 12th fret, since the ratio of 1/4 is half that of 1/2) etc etc

If you physically measured the distance from the nut to the 5th fret harmonic, then copied that distance, although measuring from the bridge, you should get the same harmonic, as the ratio is the same (1/4).

Harmonics are easy to find on any instrument e.g. to work out an octave harmonic on the violin, just measure the length of the string, then find half that length; place your finger over this point, and you will have an octave harmonic.

This was the traditional way of finding fret locations for fretted instruments.

Not much more can be said on harmonics, as you didn't say whether you meant artificial, pinch, or natural harmonics (natural harmonics are what I was describing above).

RE having problems with getting harmonics on the thinner strings - this is related to frequency, and is pretty complex! In simple terms, the higher the pitch of a note, the more difficult it is to create harmonics from that note.

PS you should call the thin 3 strings the 'top' strings, since these strings are the highest notes (in pitch). Irrespective of where the string lie on the guitar (i.e. the furthest away from you), they are the highest-sounding strings, so are known as the high (top) strings.

Vice versa for the bass (low) strings.

Latest posts

Back