Software/VSTi at NAMM 2007

Cheez

There appear to be a lack of info on software/softsynths/VSTis etc during this year's winter NAMM (2007). HC's coverage is quite pathetic with many reports put into the wrong category (for unknown reasons - eg VSL is put under "Live Sound" section...why????). HC's review is a disappointment this year. I'm not surprised it is run totally by guitarists, seeing the bias in their coverage.

So, here is an attempt to cover the software section. For those who can find other news, please add on!

1. Audio Impressions DVZ. This is really an interesting piece of software. DVZ is short for divisi - which means to divide (if you play in a wind band or orchestra, you'll understand). Samples usually record entire sections. The problem arise when you play divisi (more than one note in at one time). Let's say a violin section has 30 string players recorded. If you play 2 notes, that becomes 60 strings; if 3 notes at a time, then you ahve a 90 string players - which becomes too thick and unreaslitic. DVZ overcomes that by sampling multiple individual soloist (at the most, 2 players in one music stand). Then they layer it to form a section. Their technology then interpret the division automatically. That means if you choose a 30 string section and play one note, 30 string players will sound; if you play 2 notes, each note becomes 15 playersl if 3 notes, each note becomes 10 players. That's supposed to create better realism. Only question is how much CPU and RAM power it needs and how many polyphony it can achieve in real time. Definitely a ground breaking technology.

2. Arturia. We all should know by now that Arturia announced it's Jupiter 8 softsynth. Definitely going to be a hit. I'm sure most would have heard of their first hardware synth "Origin" by now. So much coverage on this already - no point saying more.

3. Spectrasonics. They have remained quiet this year. Eric Persing is supposed to be developing something groundbreaking and said they have decided to concentrate their resources and manpower to developing it instead of going to NAMM. Presumably, this is an update to their RMX engine. Whatever they are doing, it's going to be exciting to see - but not this NAMM. Musikmesse maybe? Or parhaps even later in the year.

4. Garritan. They showed their new Gofriller Solo Cello - and definitely nothing short of excellence like their Stradivarius. They also showed the Authorised Steinway Piano and previewed their concert marching band library. But the exciting thing is their new Sample Engine with Drag and Drop interface. This enables one to drag and drop instruments into a spacial environment. More than that, it handles high-definition midi (see below), low latency convolution, 64-bit, and runs on Intel Mac! Definitely something to keep our eyes on. This may be the next generation sampling engine! They don't have an official name to it yet...

5. Midi Manufacturer's Association. It appears that high-definition midi is going to happen. There are changes in the specs in the midi messages, greater resolution for midi data values, and (drum roll....) increased number of midi channels (!!!). Finally, we may be breaking out of the 16 channel limit.

More to come...

6. Native Instruments. Nothing new software-wise except for their hardware Audio 8 DJ USB2.0 Audio Interface. They mentioned they are saving for something big during Musikmesse...

7. Redmatica. For all Logic/EXS24 users. Keymap is one must-have for EXS24 users. There are so many features that it's impossible to list them down here (check their website). But just highlighting some exciting stuffs they have: (a) Hybrid Virtual Memory Audio Engine - allowing pre-loading of samples into virtual memory and so reducing loading time of extremely large samples, somewhat similar (and making it on par with) Kontakt and Gigastudio; (b) Harmonic Resynthesis - enables manipulation of time/pitch/format/amplitude of the samples themselves. We usually have to do this in the audio format in the DAW software - now EXS24 users can do it in the sampler itself. No more problems of playing 2 samples with different vibrato speeds - now can easily manipulate them within the sampler. And there are LOADS of other features. Too bad Logic doesn't support PC anymore :cry:

8. Cakewalk. Sonar 6.2 update - support for Vista. New cool features, especially (quote from their website):

"X-Ray Windows: Use keyboard shortcuts to temporarily make plug-ins and views in SONAR transparent and immune to mouse and keyboard activity so that you can quickly access and edit the SONAR views and plug-ins below—all without minimizing, moving or closing windows."

Now how cool is that!

Is it just me or does anyone feel that "Oberheim" has been left out of the softsynth game for way too long.

Of the American big 4 synth company in the 70s/80s - Moog, ARP, Sequential Circuits are all well represented. Oberheim emulation is sadly quiet on the softsynth front. :cry: No one does phatness the way Oberheim does it. Could this be the reason - that software still cannot capture this essence of Oberheim??

I'm quite sure Arturia will look into all possible analoig synths. It's only a matter of time. By the way, I do have some Oberheim samples. But samples being samples will never be as versatile as softsynths in the arena of analogs.

i dont really know if this is true but my lecturer happen to get the ARTURIA MOOG MODULAR he claims that there is no scrolling concept for you to link the circuits and bcos of this the bottom circuits could not link with the top and the whole point of the modular moog is to link circuits, i wonder if this is true , does anyone who owns one wish to clarify?

but he did says the sound is fantastic

Lowjk, just found out that there IS an oberheim clone out there! In VST and Reaktor plug-in format. It's a clone of the OB-X and they call it OP-X.

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/obx/welcome.html

opxvstcut.gif

Check out the OP-X flash demo. Not bad at all! The A-B comparison between the real thing comes quite close. The VST version's sweep and oscillators appear a tad faster (which should be adjustable), but otherwise the general tone is quite close to the real thing.

Wonder about their CPU usage.

Off the Garritan site:

"...Audio characteristics of the sounds such as volume, panning and stereo spread, reverb reflections and spatial cues, are controlled by positioning the scalable musical instrument icons on a Virtual Soundstage. As an instrument icon is placed closer to the front to the Virtual Soundstage, the musical instrument icon grows larger and the volume increases..."

Cool! Looks fun too ;D

The old GPO sounded pretty darn good already... can't wait for the new one.

Thanks for the info Cheez!

Would've been too pre-occupied with the new Mackie Controls to notice the software otherwise. :)

Just a quick note. This has nothing to do with GPO as GPO runs off the Kontakt engine. This an entire new sampler that appears to replace Kontakt, if I'm not wrong. The soundstage thing is also not a new concept since lots of impulses can already do that. Gigapulse within Gigastudio also does that. But their interface appears to be more user-friendly.

Anyway, it will be something to keep our eyes on.

>> What do you think of the sound? Getting it?

Not bad. Will think about it for a while. Having a little computer problem now. Something infected my computer despite the fact that I was using antivirus & malware detector.

Will need to sort it out first.

Back