sight reading

blurred

okie guys, those sight readers out there. you have tips for people who can't sight read and want to. what books did u use? how did u practice it? tips on how to follow a conductor and read at the same time.

Sorry, don't mind me hijack the thread abit. Sight reading will also mean those "taogey" thingy right? Notes etc. Can anyone give tips or like how can we learn those? Books?

For all your taugeh needs, www.google.com

Blurred, I personally can't sight read too well, but I can still do it decently on drumset parts which aren't too complex. Usually when I'm doing a cover with a band, I'll do semi-detailed charting, and will usually include the transcribed groove that captures the "feel" of the song. But how I usually write it is to ignore the timekeeper portion (unless of course that part of the drumkit plays a huge role in the sound). Similarly, when I sight read, I tend to mentally block out the more repetitive parts, which is usually straight 8ths hihats/ride, the 2 and 4 back beat, and focus mainly on the more varied sections.

sight reading is a skill that needs to be develope...it takes time...

doing scales( other workouts ), rhythmic exercises help with sight reading because you will get familiar with the rhythm, syncopation...

i developed my sight reading by playing hundreds of flute scores ( it helped for drums too )once when i was in an outside band...it really trains your mind!

so..try out more stuff...once u get the hang of it...go back to old ones...you would be surprised at your sight reading standard...

PS: if u cant do it fast...take it slow...and...SUB DIVIDE! :lol: good luck!

secondary sch i sarked....

but after joining a very tough outside band...+ constant sight reading...

about 2 months to get you up to a certain good point !

practice practice practice...
start simple... single line snare drum work....
learn to recognise patterns and how they transalate to a particular rhythm...

just make sure you sight read with frequency. its one of those things that if you stop, you tend to be slower at it when you try again. once you get it, it's all about patterns so it comes easily. repetition counts A LOT.

and always keep a bar ahead ;)

Back