Selling and Pricing Used Gear

edgie

Hi guys,
Just for fun and out of curiosity as well, what are your views and thoughts on pricing used gear. I've been here at soft for more than 6 years now and I've seen some trends, members, etc. come and go so it'll be interesting to know what the current members think about these things.

This are just my opinions so feel free to debate or discuss:
PEDALS
Readily-available used items like pedals in excellent/mint condition/(10/10) should be sold at a maximum 80% of their current street price. Street price means the average price dealers put on their websites for their items, not to be confused with MSRP which I think is the highest price that a pedal can go for.

As soon as the item leaves a reputable dealer's shop, it should be considered used(I did say reputable because there are some dealers that actually use/lend/lease out their merchandise but still sell them as new). There is an exception though: With the availability of online dealers now like PGS and Prymaxe, some people buy extra pedals to avail the extra shipping and bigger discounts in some cases if they spend 400+USD and above. In this case, the buyer becomes a part of a mass ordering process and should have the assurance that the pedal was never gigged or used. Usually a receipt(actual or thru email) to show how new it is and of course the item's actual condition would suffice.

If I were to have some sort of a rough guide or grading system for pedal conditions, it would be this:
10 / 10 = with box and manual and goodies(if pedal comes with them), no blemish at all unless if the imperfections are caused by the builder's manufacturing process. 100% functional

9.5/10 = same as 10/10 but with velcro. A neatly-placed velcro is actually an advantage to me but most people will deduct points for it. 25% of street price.

9/10 = with velcro, some light scratches at the side(which won't be so glaring once you bunch it on your board with other pedals), velcro, with or without box and/or manual and goodies. still, 100% functional. 30% off street price

8.5 /10 = same as 9/10 but with some light scratches/missing letters on the top/face. some oxidation on the metal parts like input jacks, footswitch washers, etc. 35% off street price

8/10 = same as 8.5/10 but missing box and manual. still, 100% funtcional. 40% off street price.

7.5/10 = same as 8/10 but with small paint chips, dents. 45% off street price.

7/10 = same as 7.5/10 but with glitchy electronics and/or missing knobs. 40% off street price.

6.5/10 = same as 7/10 but with more pronounced aesthetic defects. 35% off street price.

6/10 and below = trashed pedal. 30% off street price.

There will be of course a debate on hard-to-find, discontinued or pedals with long lead times. In this case, it's really up to the buyer if it's worth the money. Examples would be the MIJ Boss pedals, sleeper hits like some DOD stuff, and extinct pedals that got popularized by your favorite player.

GUITARS AND AMPS
This is quite a tricky subject because as those who have ordered overseas will know, shipping sucks. Big time.

For this, we have to consider street price + tax + shipping. Pedals usually escaped customs tax because they can be declared at a lower value by some overseas dealers or they simply are below 400sgd but guitars and amps don’t usually get the free pass.

Just for reference, my strat-style guitar with hardcase, I was charged 200usd shipping while with the 35lbs 1 x 12 cabinet I inquired on, the lowest quote I got was 260usd. It doesn’t matter what brand or how much it is, shippers charge for volume and weight as far as I know . So before you think that your local dealer is ripping you off on a particular guitar/amp, try weighing the options first and see which will work for you.

Sorry for the book. Discuss.: )

imho

sellers can charge as low, as ridiculous as they want, potential buyers should be able to choose whether to buy or walk away.

the 2nd market will regulate itself through common sense, sell too high a price(no one will buy), sell too low a price(benefit buyer), asking for too low to buy(waiting in line whole family to be insulted like xxxx), willing to pay high for something(seller happy),

^ I have to agree with that.

IMO not everyone does a significant amount of research on gear that they are about to purchase. Say if I were to buy an expensive item like a massage chair, I won't go over to ebay to do a price check. For the sake of convenience and reliability, I wouldn't mind paying a couple of hundred more. making a pricing system is really too much of a hassle unless we are out to make a business and not just changing gears.

You can follow the market rate but if no one is buying, why waste so much time making a system and sticking to it. flexibility is an important factor to consider. some of us who are very conscious about our money hence we stick to our prices like chewing gum under a seat. others just want to get rid of what they have and end the story there. It really depends on who you meet and how urgent you would like to sell your item.

I'm very conscious with my spendings yes but if I have to go through so much trouble just to save $10, I would rather be doing something else really. it's money vs hassle. you determine the value of that.

For selling price, what I would do is compare with the used prices online (after counting in the shipping and GST) & the brand new prices from local retailers and adjust my prices accordingly from there.

This must be admitted - the buy/sell section on soft does pretty good self regulating.

But that's mostly because there's enough of the same sorta gear going around. It's easier that way to see going rates, pick a better deal and out right ignore the jokers.

Implementing a pricing system would be folly IMO as there other variables to consider, such as supply and demand, currency exchange rates, shipping rates; the former being the most important. Unless there's a separate system which can source for the mean going rate of second-hand equipment and perhaps extrapolate from that data an adequately accurate market trend which can in turn help define an economically reasonable price range, I'm pretty sure the classifieds here will remain a seller's market.

I feel there is too much price police stuff going around here on soft. Especially between this guy called yuspret or something and musikal. (If you are frequent on the guitar-buy/sell, you know what im talking about)

I mean, i dont get it, if one feels the price is ridiculous, then dont buy it. No one is forcing you to buy right?

Potential buyers should have done at least some research on what they are buying so they will at least know if the price is too high for a 2nd hand item or not. Talking about pricing, it is also one's personal view on what is the right price. I can sell something for 1/2 its original price if i feel that is what its worth. But you can have a mindset of "oh, if its second hand, the price should at least be 1/3 of the original price" Not saying that its wrong to have that thinking but what im trying to say here is that different people have different views on pricing. So once again, if you are not comfortable with the price, try negotiating or just dont buy it. Simple as that. Dont spoil the thread for the seller, that is just inconsiderate.

Thanks for your insights. I think I should have cleared and emphasised that those rough guidelines are what I use for myself both as a seller and buyer. Like you, I have ignored a lot of threads even if I'm interested with the item because of the seller's ridiculous pricing. The hassle of going thru and of course the time lost researching is also being considered specially if the price is just above the current used market price by about 10-20sgd. It's just that sometimes, it really seems that some people are not aware at all of the internet prices and their pedals are at least 90% of the street price.

I myself believe that classifieds should be a free market and shouldn't be regulated at all. One thing though that I believe we can all agree upon is we just have different opinions of what constitutes those ratings for pedal conditions. I have met some sellers who said the condition is 9/10 and just "some minor scratches" but there are long scratches and paint chips on the sides and top. I know I can back out but I've already made time and effort for it and I really like to try the pedal so I'll just have to proceed with the deal albeit being somewhat a bit disappointed. When you get caught in that situation, you just can't tell if the person has lied to you or his 9/10 is just different from yours. It's just an awkward moment, at least for me.

Oh yeah, I hate price polices too. Usually they're tire-kicking businessmen who sell at ridiculously high prices themselves. I know one who haggles a lot here yet sells too much in other forums.

Yeah, about people who lie about conditions of their products. I once traveled all the way to some ulu pandan area an had to walk for almost 30mins to find this guys house. Apparently the condition of the guitar HE SAID was 9/10 and working condition was 10/10. I went there, knobs where scratchy, jack was loose and the guitar was definately not a 9/10. I asked him if the price could be lowered because I will have to replace the pots and jack and the condition was no where near 9. He just said "there is no obligation to buy, you don't have to buy if u don't want" but Wa Lao, I travelled all the way there already sia, almost 2 hour journey ONE WAY! if I go home it will be almost a 4 hour journey! And he tells me this. I also pek chek.

That's where forum integrity comes in. At least be an honest seller and let the potential buyer know everything. You can ask for any price, but be honest in ur gear description.

Talking abt price police, so far most buy sell forums I see, only in soft that this "police" exist, haha.

nowadays people see cheap than buy. don't like the sound nevermind. just sell at regular price and breakeven or make quick profit.

2nd hand market is anyone's game.

Back