Self-intro: bassist from New Zealand

icaro

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Singapore in January 2013, so I thought I would do some scouting of the music scene in advance. I'm primarily a bassist, and currently in a few different bands - The Grove (instrumental jazz a la Herbie Hancock/Medeski, Martin & Wood), Icaro (post-rock instrumental) and The Mysterons (old school punk rock).

Icaro is my main band - you can listen to (and download) our EP here:

Icaro's Bandcamp page

When I get to Singapore I will definitely be keen to join a band, and I'm particularly a big fan of Massive Attack, Portishead and Radiohead, so it would be great to do something electronic/alternative/experimental.

On a side note...I will have to let go of some of my gear in the move. Where's the best music shop for bass gear?

Cheers,

Hayden

Icaro sounds familiar. Were you ever on ATPR?

For gear (pedals), it's really online or the 2nd-hand classifieds here. Otherwise the majority of shops are all clustered in the middle of town in a dingy mall called Peninsula Shopping Centre.

What gear do you have in mind?
You won't find a shop with a wide range of gear from all brands. For each brand you will need to go to a different shop.
I would bring my basses and smaller items, and buy the amps etc here.
For heads and cabs, you can find GK, Ampeg, Hartke, Genz Benz, Markbass and a few others. You won't find every model though.
For basses, Fenders and Ibanezez are plentiful, limited selection on the other brands.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I was on ATPR, but I completely stopped using forums for a while (busy with work and other things). Icaro are hoping to release one more EP/album before I go.

Gear-wise, I suppose I mainly like looking at things and browsing - in NZ, shipping from overseas is ridiculously expensive (not including the 15% tax on items over $500) so most of it is between a couple of retail stores. Good to know that the second-hand market is healthy.

I just bought a Markbass TA503 for travel-friendliness, and I have one definite bass I will be bringing (plus an acoustic). Most other stuff (Ampeg and Ashdown cabs, Mesa head, custom bass, custom guitar) is hopefully going to be sold to help fund the trip and new gear acquisitions.

Fender would be my go-to for basses, and I'm looking at those GK Neo cabs quite seriously...

Thanks for the help :)

heyy! are you still interested in getting a band? we play rock songs, like only one from yellowcard and blind by lifehouse. we're planning to start finding gigs soon too. if you are interested just drop me a message at 97116818. cheers bro!

Back