scallopin a guitar neck

jeremyrozario

hi, im juz damn bored, an1 got try scalloping their guitar neck b4? i already did it on mi spare acoustic, and its kinda unique but useless, an1 else got try b4 oso? want to share?

dholguitar said:
how u scallop ur ACOUSTIC? :smt017

take a round file, and go *cruck* *cruck* *cruck*, den when ur done, take sum sandpaper and sand it down, and voila, it does look damn bloody ugly tho

but be warned, its gonna turn out realli damn ugly on a rosewood fretboard, unless u stain it again(which of course i didn't do, i juz whipped out a silver marker and made it even uglier :? ), and also it takes quite sum patience

jeremyrozario said:
but be warned, its gonna turn out realli damn ugly on a rosewood fretboard, unless u stain it again(which of course i didn't do, i juz whipped out a silver marker and made it even uglier :? ), and also it takes quite sum patience

If you sanded it down nicely it should look really sweet.

nar, i was too damn lazy to sand it down, anw i use this as mi primary acoustic now, anw an1 noe where i can get e mic pickup for acoustic and classical guitars, e 1 wif e clip to put it in e soundhole, is it ok and how much is it?

when scalloping your fretboard, please wear a mask to prevent yourself from inhaling the exotic timber dust (like rosewood). the dust is carcinogenic (cancer-causing) when inhaled. just a health precaution

For rosewood after scalloping you can try getting some tung oil from maestro to "recolour" back your fingerboard

easiest way -go buy 2 kilos of scallops and place on nexk -instant scalloped neck-next week watch for recipe for how to turn your dog into a woofer.
Sorry guys but why bother?

Why bother to scallop? From my point of view, these are some of the reasons why i had them done.

- Scallops look cool. Uncommon, wanted to stand out from the usual bunch of players.

- Much better string control. Literally. Absence of the wood beneath the fingers really allows for crazy bends and vibrato. A lot easier to put more expression into the songs that you play. Sliding up and down playing arpeggios malmsteen style is so much easier as well.

- My sweaty hands won't get to the fingerboard and stain it, especially rosewood. My fingerboard looks dark, stainless and nice always. A scalloped and laquered maple fingerboard looks really attractive.

Well there ya go.

I guess that's what is good about guitar, everyone can have their own opinion on what is good/bad and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. For me, bending notes can be done with enugh expresion on a normal fretboard, just like BB, Stevie etc have done all these years. feel is all about what YOU put in to it,so if a scalloped neck helps YOU-thats cool. For me-I just don't see the point but then have never been a fan of Malmsteen, and after going to the Vai concert, I ask Vai bother. For me it was total over the top crap. But if it makes you feel good-do it!.

Canon said:
...For me-I just don't see the point but then have never been a fan of Malmsteen, and after going to the Vai concert, I ask Vai bother.

well talkin about steve vai, the jems have upper fret scalloping too... 8)

Scallops are really an acquired taste. Some people just can't stand scallops, but well, that's what guitar playing is all about! Heh, always cool to see another fellow player with different gear and style :wink:

what i did was.. bought loads of glass and sandpaper.... glasspaper to "eat out" the wood.. and sandpaper.. well to sand it down.. it will look MUCH MORE nicer than with a file...its not useless actually.. if you have vibrato like yngwie's.. you'll get the wide vibrato better.. string resting only on the fretwire.. you bend quite much easily... some may not like it coz of the "sharp" feeling under the fingertips when you play.. but yeah.. it'll do quite good if you really want it and if you are ready to adapt to it.. i did it on my main axe... 3 days straight without much rest,, just rubbing the damn paper on the board.. couldn't feel my thumb for a week after that. but it's all goooood.. . GOOD LUCK with the project.

Back