Safe to remove bolt-on neck?

wifiabc

Are the bolt-on necks of electric guitars designed to be easily removed
and put back again without requiring special training?

I'm thinking of removing the neck, put the neck and body (guitar body i.e)
into a carry-on bag so I can hand-carry the electric guitar when flying.
Would removing the neck and then putting it back together again require
a lot of skill? Any special precautions?

the removal/ attachment of a bolt-on unit is quite fundamental but for travel purposes, it's not recommended u do so. it's largely about temperature issues, if one detaches the bolt-on neck & leave it in humid compartments for a period of time, highly likely it would warp & manifest subsequent complications... :cool:

Rather, explore the possibility of simply detuning the guitar and stowing it in a hardcase, slightly more expensive alternative, possibly, but safer..and try to check it as a carry-on

hey TS was thinking of doing that too. hand-carry a guitar after taking out the neck. but subversion bro, would there really be much effect in just a flight?

I did that once before and both the neck and body are packed with the clothes in my luggage. It worked for me that time.

This method is either hit or miss. But I never knew anyone with expensive guitar do this. BTW did this once with my friends guitar. The result? hmmm a fret buzz sound at the lower E string. But this can be remedied by a proper set-up to a luthier.

Thanks for the input. Looks like some guitars are OK and some are not.

Is the main problem due mainly to the "loss of tension" from the strings?
Wouldn't humidity problem affect the guitar whether or not the neck is attached
to the body?

I'm wondering if we can reduce the effects by gradually loosening the strings over a period (eg a week) so the neck can acclimatize to the reduced tension
before removal. Or should we at the same time reverse the truss adjustment as we loosen the strings so the tension on the neck is as close to neutral as possible? Thinking as a noob, so not sure if this makes any sense.

Back