Review: FMI Saddle by Jarvis

alec_fishy88

Review Link at: http://wilsonisgreat.wordpress.com/2009/12/03/review-fossilized-mammoth-ivory-fmi-saddle/

Luthier: Jarvis
Email: guitarsaddle@hotmail.com

Upgrades done:
-FMI Saddle,
-Unbleached Bone Pins with Abalone Inlays
-Elixir Nano Web Strings + Value added services

Total Cost: SGD$ 182

STH70422.jpg

Heard much about the FMI Saddle? Think that the price is not worth it?

Well, you might want to consider it again. It is really a value for money upgrade!

The upgrade does really improve the tonal quality and sustain on your acoustic guitar.

You must be wondering does FMI stands for. It actually stands for Fossilized Mammoth Ivory. It actually imparts a more noticeable influence on the tonal signature of the guitar & the results are really obvious.

I must admit, i was really skeptical of doing up a FMI Saddle upgrade on my guitar. I was thinking why pay SGD$ 100 just for a piece of saddle?

However, I changed my mind after reading thru the raving reviews about the high quality service & workmanship that Jarvis provides plus the effect that the FMI upgrade would have on one's guitar.

Decided to go for the upgrade. Received an SMS yesterday from Jarvis stating that stock for the FMI is in and decided to send my Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500R in.

SMSed him stating that I would probably not send my guitar down so soon as I was gonna have an audition coming up on saturday. He assured me that I can get it done by today.

Bus-ed down to Jarvis' place (hougang) which was a mere 10 minutes trip as it was really near to my place (sengkang). Met him at the lift lobby of the level which he is staying.

Jarvis is a very friendly guy. Once the lift door opened, I was greeted by the smile & words of Jarvis. It did calm me down a little. Nevertheless, I was still nervous about doing the upgrade. Many 'What if(s)' floating in my mind.

He assured me that he will do his best for the Masterbilt. Its my first time sending my guitar to a luthier & upgrade. Moreover, the Masterbilt was the most expensive gear of mine to date. So it really did make me let go of my doubts.

Jarvis told me that he would install the FMI saddle (SGD$ 100) & file down the nut on my guitar, which was high. He added on that he would adjust the action on my guitar as the current factory action made it darn difficult to play bar chords. Also, he told me that he would help me dry my guitar.

In addition, he advised me that my strings was sounding dead. So I told him to recommend me some better sounding strings. Went with his recommendations of the elixer strings (SGD$ 22).

He told me that my guitar would be in performance condition by the next day (which is today). Really appreciate his service standard and workmanship.

He started works on my guitar immediately after I left. SMS-ed him telling him that I would want to change my stock pins to the Unbleached Bone Pins with 2mm Abalone Inlays (SGD$60).

Approx 2 hours later, received an SMS from him that my guitar was ready! Swift service indeed! Told me that he was gonna dry & tonerite my guitar! He assured me that my guitar's action is great for playing and the sound will sound better.

Met him this evening (6pm) outside hougang mall to collect my guitar. I was supposed to collect it at his place only at 9pm as he had to attend some event there. However, he knew that I needed the guitar urgently, so he offered to let me collect it there from him. Imagine which guitar luthier would actually carry down a hardcase containing your guitar down to pass to you?

I was a little late and arrived when he was dining with his family (really sorry about that). Apologised profusely but Javis said that it was alright. He brought me to one side and opened up my case. Oh my! When I saw the upgrade, I was like EYE CANDY! He played on my guitar a bit. The difference was there!

STH70421.jpg

It indeed sounded better! Rushed home with my guitar immediately. I couldnt wait to try it out.

The difference after you install an FMI saddle is GREAT man! My guitar sounded really nicer now. The tone became more distinctive. Plucking was much clearer. Strumming on my guitar, I realised that the tone of the guitar was way better. It did not sound 'boxy' but the tone was warmer and more distinctive. I cant really describe it. You gotta try it out yourself!

The action is really great now! I can play bar chords without difficulty now. The nut is lowered and well polished. Playability is 101% now. Buttery!

Great service done! Kludos to Jarvis! Shall do up my FMI nut upgrade after I save up enough for that.

What are you waiting for? Get your FMI Saddle upgrade now! Contact Jarvis! You can definately trust him with your most precious gear!

Playing the guitar is never a chore again!

Ratings:
Service by Jarvis: 10/10
Value Added Service: Of course!
Workmanship: 10/10
Tonal Difference after FMI: Yes
Recommended to guitarists: Yes

Review Link at: http://wilsonisgreat.wordpress.com/2009/12/03/review-fossilized-mammoth-ivory-fmi-saddle/

Your Epiphone will sound even better after 1 or 2 months, gotta let the saddle adjust and open up!

I had this this done on my Taylor awhile back, if the current saddle on your acoustic is plastic or tusq then this is without a doubt the best $100 you can spend on your acoustic guitar :)

Last edited:
Back