Recording Soundcard Choices

zhen

Hi can anyone out there recommend a very basic soundcard for recording with Cubase on PC, priced maybe less than $300? I tried asking sinamex but their cheapest product is an M-audio 4/10 going for $532. Sweelee's available cheapest is $900. Anywhere else in Singapore where I can get a cheaper soundcard with decent basic quality?

advise:

watch out for the sample rates and check if there is word clock in the soundcard itself.....

teraslasch said:
sinamex told u firewire 410 is the cheapest?.. wad a scam sia.. loll.. they got their audiophile 192

I second that... there are lower range soundcards for M-Audio. I wouldn't use the word scam but maybe it's just one of those sales ppl who try to make u pay for something more. :roll:

DD

haha doubledecker .. but seriously its wierd dude, how come they say its the cheapest sia... hmm.. haha.. only sinamex carry m-audio.. i damn sian sia.. tt time everything buy from them, then they still say they only dealer, very cheap liao, cannot give discounted .. i bought like 2k worth of goods from them.. :lol:

teras,

If you have friends who are visiting other countries, or US and UK especially, get your friends to buy it for you and bring it back. Of course, you have to do the groundwork and get the address and map and stuffs so your friend knows where and how to get them.

I am always pessimistic about "dealers" in Singapore. Majority fall short of certain products on the reason that it is not widely used here. (But that doesn't mean nobody is using. Period!)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but i'm just wondering how different/powerful are the above mentioned soundcards compared to my Creative Audigy (yes the very first one)?

I've been using it to record for quite a while and i've experienced no problems yet.

The reason for this question is because, i'm kinda persuaded by my friend to invest in a soundcard which is so-called dedicated for recording purposes, but i can't seem to find a good answer as to why i shld invest in one when my current hasn't died on me yet?

Any kind pro-audio souls?

I am not too sure about live recordings and stuffs because I don't do those. I'm more into electronic music and I link my turntables and mixer to my card very much. Moreover, I don't need surround sounds.

What i was told back then was seriously a tonne of comparison which I can't remember all of it. But the comparison was made along the line of the frequency response and sampling rate.

I am equally baffled by the difference between a soundcard specially dedicated to recording/studio works and a soundcard dedicated to gaming. Seriously I don't see a difference, but why are there so many retailers claiming certain cards are best for gaming and etc etc?

DD

to answer the question, we can compare soundcard like speakers.

some speakers are good for karaoke and some are good for classical music.

the most important component in a soundcard is the AD/DA. in this case, pre-amp to digital signal convertor and digital signal to line out. for pro soundcard, it is supposed to have the following:

1. Less noise
2. Better frequence response
3. Higher bit rate
4. More headroom before distortation
5. DSP chip to process audio signal faster
6. Multi input/output

Ah,, this also apply to microphone! ha..ha...

Part marketing and part technical specs. Though I would say 'gaming' cards have many features which can be used for music recording and some are high spec-ed, soundcards meant for DAW are often much higher spec-ed for their purposes. Latency is usually one factor (although gaming cards are quite ok), especially when you use multiple plugins and effects. They support ASIO drivers. The A/D (eg.plug in guitar into soundcard) converters in them are usually better. They usually come with preamps for your instruments and mics which are definitely better than the standard ones on your desktop. And of course they come with support for surround sound as u mentioned and what not.

There are many reasons why but I also believe that if you're happy with what you have, why spend more.

But I'm pretty sure latency is spreaded among the many things we use, from hardwares to controllers to cables to cannectors, right? Or is there a different understanding from that of mine?

thanx for the feedback everyone. inspire seems the presonus Inspire seems pretty attractive to me...will probably go for that. thnx for the lead, Ichiro and James! cheers!

Back