Recording software/mic?

PLEOSAUR

Hey guys. I'm interested in recording some stuff, and was wondering what software and microphone to get. I'm willing to fork out the cash.

Right now I'm using Garageband and the built-in mic on my Macbook. The quality is okay, but there is alot of noise even though it's totally quite in the room. I suspect this is due to the fan in my computer.

I've heard that Logic Pro and Protools are two very good recording softwares. What advantages do one have over the other?

As for microphones, I've used a Samson C01U before, but it isn't with me anymore. I've read in a magazine that the mic from newmannretro.com is a really good one, but it seems extremely pricey. Any recommendations for good recording mics?

I intend to record vocals and an acoustic guitar. Possibly drums, but that's not a priority. Thanks for your input.

Hi... If you intend to record just acoustic gtr and voice, then at a basic level, Garage Band should do just fine. Just invest in a decent 2 to 4 channel USB or Firewire I/O (maybe an Apogee Duet or RME, etc. - depending on your budget and if you computer has a Firewire port or not), and a decent entry level microphone (Studio projects B1 or Shure SM57 or AT 4020 should work, again depending on how much do you want to spend).

As regards to Logic and ProTools. Both softwares have their pluses and minuses. But for what you say you want to do, I think these would be a serious overkill...

Cheers!

Garageband is mroe than enough to record acoustic guitar. All you need is a proper DAW and a microphone. Of course, it'll be better if your gig has a mic already installed, then it'll save the $$ on the mike

Garageband is mroe than enough to record acoustic guitar. All you need is a proper DAW and a microphone. Of course, it'll be better if your gig has a mic already installed, then it'll save the $$ on the mike

erm garage band IS a DAW.

get a cheap interface. a decent one for it's price is a presonus firebox. it's about 200+ and has a pretty decent pre-amp. can get it at luther music. they also sell audio-technica AT2020 mics there. or if you can afford it get the AT2041. which is 2 mics in 1 set, the AT2020 (ldc mic) and AT2021 (sdc mic). the at2020 is pretty good for vocals. and the 2021 can be used for recording acoustic guitar. plus the firebox has 2 mic inputs so it's just perfect for what you want to do. and if you check out on youtube, there are ways to mic drums with just 2 overheads, however you need to get a stereo pair mic which is 2 identital mics.

however if you think that using your macs mic is "decent" then i really have nothing to say. maybe you should go to a studio and let someone who knows what he's doing help you.

everytime anyone asks questions like this. It always goes back to the very first question. What is ur budget?

basically evident has given u some ideas on how to mic up a guitar.

most mac's sound card are pretty good, but for recording, not so. as u lack preamps for ur mics, which is pretty important. which is why evident recommended u to get an audio interface. They are good ones lying arnd, check out the buy/sell for some cheap 2nd hand ones. U dun have to buy a software for recording actually, unless u really wanna go into that, i dun recommend u to do so, coz they ain't that cheap, besides, some interface comes with free software. like the presonus firebox comes with cubase le.

Interfaces go from $100 and above. but u might wanna get the firebox, which is real good and works with macs well.

For vocals, i usually recommend u to get a large diaphragm condenser microphone, like at2020 suggested by evident. There are lots of different models arnd, like akg perception series, studio projects b1, b3 and c1, c3. Ultimately, is wat kind of sound u wan. These go for about $150 or so.

For guitars, a large diaphragm condenser would work, but if u wanna get a better sound u might probably wanna go for a pair of small condensers, like behringer b5s, etc.

or u could always get that studio pack as evident said. Check out luthermusic.com for cheap recording gears.

Without the small condensers u will probably spend about $500, with the small condensers maybe about $700 or more.

Drums unless u really have the money for it, get a drum mic kit, and u will also have to get a better interface with more inputs.

Everything will probably amount to 1.5k if u really wanna go for drum recording.

audio technica at2020. It's a bang for buck mic and no frills as it's USB powered. Hung bros at sim lim sq has these at $250 nett.

drop me a pm if your planning on picking one up, i have one for sale
:)

zoom h4n.

http://www.myspace.com/sallysrejex
The Sallys - My Love (Acoustic) was done purely on the previous Zoom H4.
Vocals > Mic
Guitars > Mic
Bass > DI

acts as a USB audio interface or runs purely on AA batteries.

for drums recording
http://www.tinyurl.com/4n4ckd

right now the new H4n supports 4 track simultaneous recording.
you could either go to a jam studio and track
#mics : drums
#1,2 : guitar/bass

then track the rest at home

or

#mics : drum overheads (get a tripod)
#1,2 : snare/floor tom or kick/floortom, or snare/kick.

and you pretty much have the whole thing but you'll need some sort of Zoom 505 or pedal with cabinet simulator to guide the drummer.
guitarist > pedal with cabsim > headphone output > drummer.

then get another headphone amp if the guitarist needs to hear himself also.

all these for $400+. comes up to around the same, but talk about portability and flexibility for recording gigs/jam sessions. gd luck

50¢ worth

Back