Recommendations for a new amp and effects

GuitarNoob

Im selling my amp to downgrade to pedals as it is more practical for me, currently have a few amps and pedals in mind but would like your recommendations too. I play metal and rock mainly, but would like a wide range of tones as I like to try new stuff. Im currently considering:

Distortion
Sansamp GT-2 and Vox tonelab(or both), Im looking for more of a preamp type of pedal so that i can use for some home recording too, I know the gt-2 can provide what I need for metal but the tonelab seems to be good and rock and bluesy tones, which I would like as well

Equalizer
Currently looking at GE-7, mxr 10band eq(do I need 10-band?) and the fish n chips eq by danelectro, I will basically be using the eq as a tone shaper and a solo booster, please share your opinions on these pedals, cause I Know nuts abt eq pedals :)

Practise amp
Im looking for something with an effects loop and preferably a 12 inch driver, arnd the range of 30-50watt, currently considering the Vox valvetronix series, roland cube series, and kustom amps, what would you recommend?

If you own any of these or tried them or have any other recommendations, please share :D

Thanks!

Oh yea, I have a budget of around 1.2k

Why can't the GT2 do blues/rock tones? ;) It can do them all. If you want even more veratility, a TRI AC can do it but it needs to be boosted by another pedal to get into tight heavy metal territory.

I have tried both GE7 and Fish&Chips. The GE7 is quite noisy (can mod it to be silent) when on, the F&C is quiet. F&C is like $79 the Boss is what, $120? F&C is more fragile but do you jump on your pedals? ;)

If you are going to use the GT2 or TRI AC or modelling, consider getting a Keyboard/Mic amp like those Roland 60W keyboard amps with 12" speakers or even the Tech21 power engine amp, basically a power amp with speakers @ 60W, 12".

Thanks for the reply :)

Yea, The GT-2 can definitely do blues and rock, Tri AC is out for me, great tones, had it before, but it the doesnt have the mic-ing options the gt-2 gives me, why Im considering adding the tonelab is because the GT-2 can only give me 1 tone at a time, whereas with the added tonelab, I can just switch channels with1 or 2 steps frm my foot, but if theres another alternative to this method pls share :D

btw Shredcow, Im looking at a wah pedal to experiment as well, had a 535q before, like the versatility of it but I dont really like to have to step on it to turn it on 1st, Im really interested in the Bad horsie 2, whats your take on it? thanks :)

Hmmm... what do you mean by "doesnt have the mic-ing options the gt-2 gives me"?

The BH2 is a nice modern sounding wah. Its bascially Vai's setting on default and it has an additional mode for versatility. So yeap, you can see the BH2 to have very strong wah (contour knob) while having little boost (level knob) on the 2nd mode (triggered via footswitch) for funk playing, or you can have little wah sweep but strong level for an interesting gain boost.

Its really difficult to explain a wah's tone, harder than distortion/overdrives... soooooo!

http://music.download.com/Shredcows

Listen to My Life With You. Got the wah there.

ShredCow said:
Hmmm... what do you mean by "doesnt have the mic-ing options the gt-2 gives me"?

basically the gt-2 has those off axis centre micing options etc etc which the tri AC doesnt, so I thought it would be useful for home recording, just an assumtion :wink:

Hmm the Bad horsie sounds interesting man

Ah... those... well, yeah, the TRI AC doesn't have those but its nothing you can't do with a real mic and amp. ;)

I presume you have tried out the GT2 thoroughly , esp that micing function, to come to that conclusion that its going to be a vital aspect of your playing?

Yeah, it does... plus the auto on/off function is GREAT! Imagine in the context of Heavy Metal, chugging chugging then rip with a quick wah line, then back to chugging... can't do that with a switched wah. ;) And not to worry, the bypass is pretty good quality.

Yea, that was the main reason why Im eyeing the Bad horsie 2. Btw, you have the kustom30watt amp rite, how does it compare to the roland cube 30? I dont think I would consider a keyboard amp or a mic amp simply because it just doesnt feel right for me, not a guitar amp, haha..not afraid to admit this

i know this question is asked previously in some thread, but i juz nv take note.... coz now i need that piece of gear so i wana ask.... hope u guys could tell me...

how much is the GT2, where is it sold??

Ah.. the kustom is very warm sounding, clean wise. VERY WARM sounding.

Its not a metal amp and can do 80s hard rock but no more.

If you are getting the GT2/TRIAC/multiefx, i think you should seriously consider the keyboard amp or Tech21 Power Engine. Really. These really let the real tone of the efx thru.

I'll never forget the time I plugged my TRI AC into the PA, out thru big monitors. My fellow MDC guitarist suddenly looked up and exclaimed how good that sounded.

;) Seriously, consider.

Hmm yea, Im now seriously considering, because I realised all the amps im looking at have no efx loop! whats an amp with no efx loop?!?! :lol: anyway, any good keyboard amps to recommend?

GuitarNoob said:
Hmm yea, Im now seriously considering, because I realised all the amps im looking at have no efx loop! whats an amp with no efx loop?!?! :lol: anyway, any good keyboard amps to recommend?

if you are:

*looking for an amp but relying on pedals as the primary source of drive

*in need of an FX-Loop feature

*maximizing your budget

*not afraid to try a non-guitar amp

maybe, you can consider this bass amp- Ibanez Soundwave SW35, listing for $300

sw35_tilt.gif

on the subject of reputable EQ pedals which doesn't cost you a bomb, this Behringer EQ700 is a steal for $55...

behringer_eq700.jpg

GuitarNoob said:
Distortion
Sansamp GT-2 and Vox tonelab(or both), Im looking for more of a preamp type of pedal so that i can use for some home recording too, I know the gt-2 can provide what I need for metal but the tonelab seems to be good and rock and bluesy tones, which I would like as well
The GT2 if you know how to tweak the amp, will give you all the bluesy tone and rock tones you need.

Equalizer
Currently looking at GE-7, mxr 10band eq(do I need 10-band?) and the fish n chips eq by danelectro, I will basically be using the eq as a tone shaper and a solo booster, please share your opinions on these pedals, cause I Know nuts abt eq pedals :)
Any EQ pedal will do. The GE7 is one of the most popular though. Whether to use 10 band or not is up to you. Some people love to micro tweak, others like me prefer simplicity.

Practise amp
Im looking for something with an effects loop and preferably a 12 inch driver, arnd the range of 30-50watt, currently considering the Vox valvetronix series, roland cube series, and kustom amps, what would you recommend?

Get a good clean amp, preferably a good tube one that has good clean headroom and sculpt your tone from there. We all due respect. I'm using the Line 6 Flextone III XL which is basically one of the best modelling amp around, comes with 2 x 12. I also owned a Cube 30. There is not a day I never regret buying them as tonally they just do not do it for me. Nowadays, I'm very skeptical of anything modelling.

Oh yea, I have a budget of around 1.2k

You might want to have a look at the Power Engine 60 by Tech21. http://www.tech21nyc.com/pe60.html

It's essentially a powered guitar speaker which is basically what you need to complete your FX chain if you're using amp modellers. I've used one before and it's pretty okay for 60 watts SS and it's lightweight compared to a proper amp.

Sinemax can bring them in for about $600 last time I checked.

EDIT: Ah, I see someone else has already mentioned it so I'm gonna just second it.

Also, if you're getting a Tonelab you might have to get a midi controller footswitch and program it to do channel switching. Plus with it, an external EQ pedal might become redundant. No option to route an EQ pre-FX post-amp on the Tonelab if you want to use its effects.

Back