Rebel new on guitar

rebelriot

hi guys,
im new into the guitar scene. been practising for 2 weeks. fingertip starting to get hard.

there's this issue i always notice when i play the guitar. when i try to switch from G to C, vice versa, i always have problem.

right now, i only know the placement of Em , Am, C, G,D chord. all in 2weeks of hardwork. but the problem is i only know the placement :(

i cant switch chords smoothly. very moody.lol

Last edited:
switch from g to g ? anyway if the problem is that you're not switching fast enough, you can try for example switching from Em to Am and Am to Em increase the speed while your at it.. after awhile when you're better at it move on to Am to C to Am and so on.. thats how i over came my problems with chords when i just started out..

editted liao. haha. hmm G to C, vice versa. hmmm AM to EM is the easiest to start learning for speed is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just giving an example.. as in be it what ever chord progression your playing.. if you find difficulty changing the chords in time for me how i would approach that problem is to keep switching between the chords to strengthen your fingers and while you're at it try to increase the speed as you change if you really have difficulties

actually i have now got 2 guitar.one is borrowed from cousin initially, the yamaha CG-110A. a classical guitar. felt the neck is pretty fat. is that a bad choice for beginner?

i got myself a TGM guitar yesterday. slim neck, and easy to play with. just thinking is it psychological or was it real that a fat neck classical is harder to start with?

another thing i have in mind, is that, for C chord, normally my first finger seems to have problem making the 2nd string ring properly. i look through the fretboard, finger did press properly. however thought maybe could be due to finger skin already got "cut in" ,by the line, hence unable to have that proper ring.
anyone encounter similar problem?

both the classical and electric are very different in use. i dun really know how to describe them to u haha.

anyway the C chord can be done whether ur fingers are seasoned or not. just press harder and u'll see. u probably haven't developed enough finger strength to press down with that finger yet thats all. btw hope ur thumb is behind the neck, not over the neck. makes it easier at the start.

Haha, what i used to do was to practice the placement of your fingers on air whenever you dont have a guitar, to get use to where the fingers are suppose to move when you switch to a different chord.

When you're playing, try visualizing the next chord even before you switch so that you wont hesitate when you switch a chord.

Hope what i said made sense. Dont worry, this is one of the first obstacles in guitar, you'll be able to get it pretty soon.

Cheers

I don't think the issue with the classical is about the thickness, but rather the width of the neck. If you noticed, the string spacing on a classical is more, thus leading to a wider neck. This can be mistaken for a fatter neck as your fingers may not be able to reach the top strings. An acoustic neck will normally be less wide.

thanks for all the reply.hmmm i did try visualise before switching the chords but sadly,finger still didnt land nice nice on the strings. hahaha

oh the tgm is not electric. it's acoustic. slimmer neck.

hmmm anyway do you guys have any songs in mind can rcommend me to learn, i mean easy one? i google and most songs turn out pretty hard eh

if ur fingers can land on the right strings at the right time when u 1st start learning how to play the guitar then its probably cos u've got talent. if not, like the rest of us, we just practice till we get there. btw acoustic and electrics have similar neck feel, just that acoustic strings are more difficult to fret. hmmm another song u can try is pieces by sum41, or smoke on the water(rhythm section) by deep purple.

haha for me i think fretting between the acoustic and the e guitar is somewhat the same just that the bending on the acoustic kills your fingers sometimes haha but its good training :p
anw if your prob is switching chords haha you can try this beatles song, let it be :) its quite a straight forward song that has some nice yet simple prog

thanks for all the replies.

i started to be able to switch chord more smoothly now. it's my 3rd week of guitar and i can play linkin park's numb already. hahaha but simple chord. erm Em, C, G,D. heeeheee.

i can never understand how people do F chord? i cant even make any string ring when i put into F chord:(

how??

anyway , anyone of you have the chord / tab guide for 张于-四百龙银?can share? :)

abit difficult to describe but just keep trying. the thickest 4 strings should be able to ring lar...those use 4 different fingers!!

It sometimes also because you hold the guitar incorrectly.
Don't try to learn practise your guitar like the pros do on MTV.. they hold their guitar too low ( in those rock bands )
If you stand your guitar more upright, your left hand fingering will be easier, even on fatter necks . That is my own personal experience on this. Hope it helps.
Don't be afraid to make the guitar stand more upright just because everybody don't.

It sometimes also because you hold the guitar incorrectly.
Don't try to learn practise your guitar like the pros do on MTV.. they hold their guitar too low ( in those rock bands )
If you stand your guitar more upright, your left hand fingering will be easier, even on fatter necks . That is my own personal experience on this. Hope it helps.
Don't be afraid to make the guitar stand more upright just because everybody don't.

true!! chris broderick has his guitar way up high even though he can play anything u throw at him from jazz to metal. i dun see anyone saying he looks lame or what.

Back