Really big hats!

seth_drums

I was flipping through the this year's free zildjian magazine/catalog and was looking out for the Cymbal setups from drummers for bands i know.. then something really caught my eye.

JJ Johnson who plays for John Mayer and Ronnie Vannucci from The Killers, use 18" inch hats! Like for JJ it's K dark thin crash 18" on the top and A rock crash as bottom hat, and for Vannucci it's 18" Constantinople crash for top and A breakbeat ride (YES, Ride!) as bottom hat!

Anyone over here use hats beyond 14" or 15" sizes? Just wondering... Gonna try it someday..

here's JJ with those enormous hats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvLMwzF62pE&feature=related

I've used a 17" K Custom Dark Crash over an 17" A Custom Crash before. Super sloshy. Fun to play with.

The K Dark Thin over A Crash is quite standard if you want something dry like Constantinoples. I used to use to a 15" K Dark Thin over an A Custom Crash, the cheaper alternative to Constantinople hats. IMHO, of course.

I put together two crashes to use as hats before. Very heavy feeling. It's nice though. Has a big sloshy sound, you won't get it to sizzle much though. The pedal feeling is also different since it's so heavy. The spring can't really take the weight well, so it'll bounce up and down. Maybe if you get an extra strong spring for it it'll feel normal on your feet. Playing feels very solid though, more than with normal hats. When I'm feeling richer I'll be getting a pair, always wanted to do so.

Cool.... i think i will try it with my HH med-thin crash as a top hat n find something for the bottom to test. I like that sloshy thing like in the john mayer vids i saw...

thanks for the input guys! :)

Back